Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Baffling electrical source problem with PC!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ltjimmy

ltjimmy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

Hi there,
first time poster, glad to be here!
My problem is as such: I've started encountering a strange issue where my PC seems to become unable to respond to it's power source, and doesn't want to boot up properly. For example, I'll put the thing into Sleep mode, and when i try to log back in, it won't respond, requiring me to manually shut it off. When I then try to power it back up, it will do one of 2 things;
-It will power up, but not actually boot and nothing will appear on the moniter.
-It will appear completely dead, as if there's no power running to it at all!

I've tried changing the power cords, replacing the power bar etc. but strangly enough, what seems to work so far, is unplugging the power cable from the power bar and into the wall or vice verca. Basically just switching the outlet's back and forth. 1 day the wall outlet will work, the next the power bar will work, and then vice verca. I know it's not a problem with my outlets, because the moniter, lamp, phone and everything else works fine through the same power source.
Has anyone else ever come across this? The machine specs are: P4 2.4, with a Geforce 4 4200ti, and 1 gig of Ram, Win 2K.
Thanks!

Edited by ltjimmy, 29 May 2005 - 12:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

It sounds as if your power supply is failing. They are fairly inexpensive and relatively easy to change as long as you take the proper precautions.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ltjimmy

ltjimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the tip, that sounds like the culprit. I'll look into it right away!

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

Dear itjim,

I agree. I had the same sort of problem with my brand new Antec 550 powersupply. I am currently sending it back to Antec.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users