Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow as molasses

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OHLS

OHLS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

My computer has been causing problems lately. It is VERY slow in starting up, and takes around half an hour from the time I turn it on to the time that I can start using programs. I have not been turning it off during the past week because of that. Opening programs such as Word or Firefox can take a couple minutes for them to set up.

The Windows Media Player also skips every few seconds when I try to play a dvd or a song that is already downloaded.

I have used Ccleaner and defraged it but there was no difference.

Can someone help? It is very frustrating. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

Hi OHLS

To be able to help, can you supply a bit more info please.

What version of Windows are you using, and what is the spec of your PC?
Steve

#3 OHLS

OHLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm not computer-savvy at all, but I'm trying to learn. I went to "start", "control panel", "system", and it says that I have Windows XP media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 3.

Below that, it says I have AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM.

Are those the specs you need?

My computer was much much faster before. Thanks!

OHLS

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hi OHLS

The spec of your PC seems ok for the O/S.

There is a very good article here on Bleeping Computer which I recommend you read. It might provide the answer and solution as to why your system is running slow. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/
Steve

#5 OHLS

OHLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hi Steve,

I just finished defraging the computer, and will be finished going through the rest of the steps (from the page link that you posted) in a few hours. Just wanted to keep you posted.

OHLS

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

I know there is a lot to go through. Take your time, it's no problem :thumbsup:

Edited by SLIX, 05 February 2009 - 01:57 PM.

Steve

#7 OHLS

OHLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hi Steve,

I finished going through all the steps that the link suggested. While defragging, my symantec antivirus automatically came on, even though I tried to disable it many times. I also tried to backup the files to my D drive, but it stopped near the end because there wasn't enough room.

My computer is a little better, but is still really slow. Is there something else I can do to speed it up?

OHLS

#8 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hi OHLS

Are you 100% sure that you have no malware running on your PC ?
If you have followed all the steps in the article, then you may want to consider running HijackThis and posting a log into the relevent forum.

This is just my own personal opinion but it could just be your Antivirus Program.
From past experience I have seen lots of PCs slowed down by Norton/Symantec antivirus programs.
I am not the only one to see these problems. Read this http://www.helpmerick.com/norton_may_slow_computers_down.htm
I personally run McAfee VirusScan as it works for me. On PCs that I have seen running slow with Norton installed, I have replaced it with McAfee and seen a vast improvement. Having said that, some people say that they have had problems with McAfee.
It seems that what works well on one PC doesn't always work well on another.
The one thing I must stress, however, is that you must have an antivirus program protecting your PC.
If you want to see if Norton is causing you a problem but don't want to part with any cash then you could try a free antivirus program.
Two good antivirus programs free for non-commercial home use are Avast! and Antivir
Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.
Steve

#9 OHLS

OHLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Hi Steve,

I removed Symantec and downloaded Avast! I had to restart the computer, and Avast! is running a scan. It's been scanning for hours, and will likely scan for a few more. Once it has finished, I'll see if the computer's still slow.

I have no idea if I have any malware. Can you tell me how I can test for it? Thanks.

- OHLS

#10 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi OHLS

I have no idea if I have any malware. Can you tell me how I can test for it? Thanks.

Have a look at this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Steve

#11 OHLS

OHLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hi Steve,

That's great! I'll go through the steps from that link and then post a log in the malware section.

I have one last question. I'm having problems backing up my documents. I don't have the windows xp cd and it sounds like this is necessary. Do I need to go buy one?
Thanks for all your help. We can close this topic after this.

- OHLS

#12 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hi OHLS

I have one last question. I'm having problems backing up my documents. I don't have the windows xp cd and it sounds like this is necessary. Do I need to go buy one?

If you want to use ntbackup, it has to be installed. On XP Home it is in the Added Value folder on the installation disk.
On some PCs where no CD was supplied but which do have a restore partition, you may find the Added Value folder there.
If you do not have either, it can be downloaded from Microsoft Download Centre here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users