Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 The Grog

The Grog

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

Anybody download and use this yet? I always hesitate at first as there are usually problems with anything new. After checking their forums it seems as if here were a lot of bugs with this. Have they been addressed?

:thumbsup:
Inept Computer User

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends in my head.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Anything has to be an improvement. I don't use it anymore
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Not using it but have read of problems and don't know anyone recommending it anymore

#4 The Grog

The Grog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

How come you guys don't even use it anymore? I have run SpyBot. Malwarebytes, and others that say they don't find anything ans AdAware still does. I use a combo of the three 'cause they all find different things.
Inept Computer User

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

So were you looking for real opinions or just positive opinions. Here's the truth. Ad Aware isn't what it was several years ago and many members don't use it anymore. And in recent years it has become a resource hog. I'm happy with SAS & MBAM and I don't need Ad Aware.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 The Grog

The Grog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

So were you looking for real opinions or just positive opinions. Here's the truth. Ad Aware isn't what it was several years ago and many members don't use it anymore. And in recent years it has become a resource hog. I'm happy with SAS & MBAM and I don't need Ad Aware.

:thumbsup: Real opinions. I was just saying that it often finds things that the others don't. It seems the best thing for me is to run a variety of things as each has the potential to find different types of spyware, that's all.
Inept Computer User

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

If you are so inclined, take a free look at both of these, download, update, and run them on your system and see what they find:

SUPERantispyware (SAS) http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (MBAM) http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#9 The Grog

The Grog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

If you are so inclined, take a free look at both of these, download, update, and run them on your system and see what they find:

SUPERantispyware (SAS) http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (MBAM) http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I already use the Malwarebytes, but the other is new. I will try it, thanks. :thumbsup:
Inept Computer User

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

The Grog
You're welcome These two serve alot of people well as on-demand scanners as long as you keep them updated
tork :thumbsup:

#11 tcgtechnician

tcgtechnician

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:43 PM

I have used the new Ad-Aware AE, and although it does work effectively and looks very nice, the simple fact is that it just won't work an all systems. It requires 256MB of physical memory to be installed. And let's face it, not everyone has the proper hardware for this. This new version does run a malicious software detection process in the background which can be useful. Good program, just not a good choice for all users. Also, if you want a program that will take care of malware and spyware, use Super Antispyware, which, in my opinion is the best free protection program available right now.

#12 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

Anybody download and use this yet? I always hesitate at first as there are usually problems with anything new. After checking their forums it seems as if here were a lot of bugs with this. Have they been addressed?

:thumbsup:

I use Ad-Aware 2008. I have no problems with it. But I see that the new Anniversary Edition has a lot of bugs. I went on the Lavasoft Ad-Aware support forums and many people seem to be having problems either installing the Anniversary Edition or it's just not working properly for them. So that's why I'm sticking with the previous version until Lavasoft can get the Anniversary Edition together.

If I were you, don't download Anniversary...just stick with the previous version for now. It works just fine.

#13 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:55 AM

Even though you say you "don't need" Ad-Aware...it's true indeed that you don't "need" it, but it surely will help! It's always best to have more than one anti-malware/spyware/adware programs because the ones that you already have don't always detect what other programs will.

For instance, I have my antivirus program, I have MBAM and Ad-Aware. I run all of them consecutively. I always run Ad-Aware last. Ad-Aware detects infections that MBAM tends to not detect. If I were you, I would recommend installing Ad-Aware. I can guarantee it will detect infections that you don't know you have.

Now I'm about to install SuperAntiSpyware, and I'll be set. I think having all 4 of these programs now will be a very good idea that I won't regret.

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

I used to use Ad Aware & Spybot years ago. Neither of them are as good as they used to be. My experience with Ad Aware is this. It would detect spyware but not remove it. That makes it useless so I don't need it.

#15 The Grog

The Grog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Even though you say you "don't need" Ad-Aware...it's true indeed that you don't "need" it, but it surely will help! It's always best to have more than one anti-malware/spyware/adware programs because the ones that you already have don't always detect what other programs will.

For instance, I have my antivirus program, I have MBAM and Ad-Aware. I run all of them consecutively. I always run Ad-Aware last. Ad-Aware detects infections that MBAM tends to not detect. If I were you, I would recommend installing Ad-Aware. I can guarantee it will detect infections that you don't know you have.

Now I'm about to install SuperAntiSpyware, and I'll be set. I think having all 4 of these programs now will be a very good idea that I won't regret.

I see I am not the only one that feels this way. I run the same as you and for the same reasons. Each finds things that the others don't. Besides what you mentioned above I also run SpyBot.
Inept Computer User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users