Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp. i don't like it!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Helen

Helen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

right. i've got this Celeron 330 running XP. i want my old computer back! i miss Access, Word and Excell! as i'm a plumbers wife and not a computer wizz i need to know if i can install these on my celeron? How? Cost? please help. :thumbsup: (vacant expression)
My lack of brain cells makes it impossible to insert a witty remark here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Certainly you can install the Windows office programs you listed either individually or as a package.

Did you have Microsoft Office on your old computer? If you did, have the disc and do not use it on the other computer anymore you can install the copy of Microsoft Office you have on your XP computer.

If not you can buy various things that will accomplish what you want - from a basic student version of Office to a full blown pro version.

If you are buying software, make sure it is legitimate, licensed versions.

#3 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for replying!

i'll go for the best i can afford. I run my partners business from home so i need Excell and Word but i miss my database most of all!

As for licensed software: Is it legitimate to buy used Office from Ebay?

#4 SM2C

SM2C

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Helen: It certainly is. You can also buy from Amazon.com, new or used. I prefer to buy only the RETAIL versions of any software so that I can get support from the manufacturer of the product, if necessary.
Hal

Dell 4550 2.0 GB, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP home, DVD-rom, CD-R/RW, Gforce MX 420.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

If you do buy it used - make sure you get all the Microsoft certification that came with it.

Again, if you already have it on a machine you no longer will use it on you can install it on your new one as long as you remove it from the old computer (to be absolutely legal).

You can also move the database (or just copy it) to your new computer. Win XP has a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard which can be used to do that.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 May 2005 - 10:26 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

A nice alternative to Office is Open Office, and it's free.
It's also compatible with MS Office.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

thankyou everyone. things are a bit clearer now.

whats this Open Office thing?

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

Open Office is like Microsoft Office, combining word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program. It should be able to open and work on MS Office files. Unlike MS Office, it's free, it's Open Source. Like Linux, Open Source software is made by volunteers and can be revised and enhanced because the source code for the programs is readily available to individual programmers.

The Firefox browser is Open Source, as is Mozilla Thunderbird, both of which I use. If you go to the link provided by tg1911 and click on the tabs across the top, you can learn much more about the program. This is a good, free alternative to those who cannot or do not want to pay for products like MS Office.

If you want to download and try it, use the 'latest stable release 1.1.4' and once it's installed, you can add the Security Patch for 1.1.4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users