Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive C almost full---How do I downsize it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shaytala

shaytala

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

This is my first post and if I'm in wrong location please let me know. I looked through all the headings.

My computer was partitioned and my Drive C which has my programs was 19.6GB and I only have about 825MB left.

I need to clean it up but I don't know how it filled up. I've not added a lot of programs and I moved off the files I had created in word documents etc. When I look at what's on Drive C I can't even tell what some of the things are.

For example: cmdcons, Config.Msi, cpqs, FTW, i386, KPCMS, RECYCLER, System Volume Information, System.sav

How do you find out what these things are connected to? I'm afraid to delete.

Is there something I should be emptying out or clearing?

I'm a senior and new to this. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind doing the work and research on this if someone will kind of point me in the direction I should go.

My Microsoft Outlook won't even open. Is that because there isn't enough room?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

Start with disc clean up if you haven't already done so. Here is a link for a tutorial to help.

http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/fhost/cleanup.swf

Try this first and see if it helps. Your hard drive is pretty small by today's standard though.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Well...have you moved video files, pictures, graphics, etc...anything that isn't a system file or a program file...from your C:?

I have a 20GB partition for each of my two systems...but I don't store anything but basic items (programs and operating system) on the C: partition...and I have 13.6GB free space right now on this system.

I don't use System Restore so that takes up no room on my system (I maintain periodic backups of the C: partition).

If you don't use hibernation, you can delete the hiberfil.sys file permanently, Delete Hiberfil.sys in Windows XP before defragmenting - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...1-5630184.html#

Louis

#4 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:46 PM

I did the disc clean up previously.

Here's how I'm partitioned. Drive C 19.6GB......18.8GB used; Drive D 54GB.... 36GB used; Drive E 76.3GB...93.5MB used; Drive F 76.3GB.....6.27GB used.....
Seems like I have a lot of available space....just not in Drive C. I attempted on my own to clear out some things about 2 months ago and moved Programs I was sure of the Drive D (like my camera download program).

Maybe I should ask how to enlarge the partition in Drive C?

Your question..."Well...have you moved video files, pictures, graphics, etc...anything that isn't a system file or a program file...from your C:?" All my pictures were kept on Drive D and I copied most off. Don't have video or graphics that I've placed on C. How can I be sure it's a system file or a program file?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

<<How can I be sure it's a system file or a program file?>>

Program files will in the C:\Program Files folder, while most system files will be in C:\Windows folder.

The files contained under C:\Documents & Settings are also system files. But the contents of these folders can generally be moved to another drive or disk (e.g., Favorites, email, cookies, contents of My Pictures, My Documents, etc.

Any files under C:\i386 are system files.

Any files under C:\System Volume Information are system files.

Space taken up by Recycle Bin deletions...is not restored until the Recycle Bin is emptied.

C:\Pagefile.sys is a system file whose size can be adjusted.

A more detailed list: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...57124.aspx#EIAA

A tool that you can use to view the files/folders which are largest on your system: TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

#6 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Thank You....I will go to work on this.....

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

ATF Cleaner great for cleaning out temp files and more http://www.atribune.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users