Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Strub

Nick Strub

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

I recently ran system restore and it froze up as it was trying to restore so I had to manually shut down the computer. Ever since I restarted it I cannot get system restore to open. I will click it once and nothing will happen and if I try to open it twice right after the other I will get a window that has a Title bar at the top that says System Restore and the rest of it is just a blank, white screen where the options should be. I don't know if there is a way to reinstall system restore or something with out a Windows XP CD so I'm asking here. Also along with this has gone a problem with Windows Media Player 11 opening (it won't). Dunno if they're related. Cybersitter is installed on this system if it makes any difference

Edited by Nick Strub, 02 February 2009 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

SuperAntiSpyware has a repair section with a feature titled "repair broken windows system restore service". I do not know if that will work because I have not used it and the description for it it says, restores a broken system restore service that has been deleted or corrupted by a malware infection. I know that is not how yours became damaged but I do not think it would hurt to give it a try, as it might work and SuperAntiSpyware is a free program. It is also a very good malware program, it found a trojan on my system that even malwarebytes did not find, so I think it would be worth the download and install even if it did not repair your system restore. I hope you find a fix for it, i rely heavily on my system restore service and would hate for it not to work, good luck

Edited by Stang777, 03 February 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#3 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Or you could try lines 278 (left column) and 289 (right column) from here.
Please post back if we found the solution

#4 Nick Strub

Nick Strub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

that didn't work so I'm thinking about backing up my program files and music and stuff and then reverting to the way the computer was when I first got it.....it'll run faster and I shouldn't be having any more problems hopefully

#5 remember me

remember me

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:35 AM

:thumbsup: please click this and read.........
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/0...system-restore/
an Antivirus is like a little guy standing on the side walk with a net, trying to catch you as you jump off the top of a 10 story building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users