Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu and Firefox "Viewer" question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

Here is my problem, I use service called zipformonline for all my real estate forms. When using Firefox under windows, I must install a plugin form viewer to make it work, windows IE it just works with no issues. When I attempt to run with Ubuntu/Firefox, it will not install the form viewer, advises I need .net framework. I did email the tech support folks at zipformonline and they advised it won't work however it seemed to be a rather windows based response.

1. Is there a form view I can use, I believe the files in question are .zfsx

2. Is Wine a possible solutions.

I would really like to get off the windows merry-go-round and have really been enjoying Ubuntu. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

You may have to try to find out if wine will work.

I just tried wine a couple of days ago. Some programs I wrote in Windows (VB6) could be installed and run without any problem, one could not be installed at all. However, the IE in wine just gave me a blank screen.

Edited by czhang, 03 February 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

WINE may work, but I have a feeling it won't in this case, since zipformonline seems to be built using Microsoft's proprietary .NET framework. There is an open-source implemenation of .NET available called Mono (Mono's user Forum). Perhaps Mono in concert with WINE will be the ticket. (There's also a Mac version of zipformsonline. Since Mac OS and Linux are cousins, we may want to investigate that angle as well.)

#4 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Thanks to both of you for your responses, I have tried to raise this question on the ubuntu forums with no response and could not find much help on any firefox forums. Sounds like a good saturday afternoon project and start experimenting. Thanks again.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Additional idea: Rather than try to get the plugin to work under the Linux version of Firefox, you might want to look at using WINE to run the Windows version of Firefox. Just a thought.

#6 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Andrew, that was an approach I had thought of investigating. I did talk again with the zipform folks and he advised they are coming out with a Java based approach which will work with any os platform able to run java, just have to wait. Thank you for the ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users