Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 occupant16365

occupant16365

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

Greetings everyone.

My friend is having troubles with her computer and brought it to me for assistance....probably not the wisest of choices. I'm blonde and know just enough to be dangerous.

The computer was purchased second hand and I believe someone tried to update Windows to XP from 98SE. When you turn it on now...you receive a message that says Invalid System Disk - Replace the disk and hit any key.

My previous experience with this message hasn't left me with any answers that are working. She brought me a Windows 98 disk (the only one she has) and I tried booting it up with that after changing the order in BIOS to look at the CD first. Then I tried booting with a boot disk (west to bootdisk.com and made one) in drive A after changing the order in BIOS. So far nothing appears to make a difference.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

I'm not sure what's going on, but it could be a hardware problem. Perhaps a cable came loose during moving. Or, it could be a worse hardware failure. Do you hear a beep when the system is booting?

If it were simply the motherboard battery going dead or something, that shouldn't stop the A: drive from working, I wouldn't think. You should still be able to boot up into DOS with the floppy. It's good that you can get into BIOS. At least something's working.

While you're in the BIOS, does it show the hard disk at all? Does it show the floppy installed? Have you tried the boot disk on another computer to see if it works? And when you say, "Nothing seems to make a difference," do you mean that you get the "invalid system disk" message when you try to boot with the floppy? (Just covering all the bases.)

Edited to add:

There is also the possibility that you have a CMOS virus that is preventing disks from working. Hint: ALWAYS write-protect your startup floppy disk!

If you do have such a virus, it can write itself to the floppy, and then infect another machine. If you used it and did not write-protect it, discard it and make a new one, then write-protect it before you use it.

Edited by Herk, 29 May 2005 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users