Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover lost files from a camera that isnt connected to my computer anymore?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 S14NXA

S14NXA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Ok, basically this morning i ran out of space on my camera so i backed some files up to the computer using the camera cable, i backed up about 100 photos, and then i took out the cable and the camera, and went out to go and take pictures. Unfortunately while i was out i lost the camera, is there any way of getting the photos or files that were once connected to my computer, maybe they are in some temporary files or something. Please HELP the pictures of my engagement and my graduation were on there and i didnt back it all up. PLEASE HELP!!!!

ANY HELP WILL DO, PLEASE i have lost so many memories..

isnt there some sort of system temporary folder that has some of the data in it or anything, please help im missing over 600 pictures and 150 vidoes . I Havent restarted my computer just in case i erase the temporary files, if there are any, PLEASE HELP ME. ive cried so much over my camera, this is my last resort...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer, S14NXA, and so sorry to hear of such an unfortunate happening.

What brand of camera was it and what was your download procedure?

If it is a camera that uses proprietary software, like say Kodak, and it does automatic downloads into a library, then just perhaps it might already have stored copies of the other pictures somewhere.

If you access the camera as a USB mass storage device, and download only the files you want using an explorer window, then we might have a problem. I can't think of any cacheing location that files that weren't copied across might still be found, although that doesn't mean some computer genius mightn't know a trick that I don't...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

i'm no expert on this but I id some research and found a possibility. You have to purchase software.
Photo Recovery
i can not vouch for this product I only offer it as a possible solution.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

so i backed some files up to the computer using the camera cable, i backed up about 100 photos,

Those files should be on your computer, and should be accessible. This is going to sound really simple, but do a search for all picture files. The XP search function will allow you to do that, and you might be surprised at what you find :thumbsup:

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

How did you backup the photos to your system? Try searching your computer for all files ending in .jpg (or for all pictures).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 S14NXA

S14NXA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

Basically, i plugged the camera into a usb slot into my computer, the camera is a Sony cybershot, there wasnt any sony software installed. I jus plugged it in via USB and then went to my computer and cut and pasted some images from the folder into another folder, but i didnt cut and paste all of them. then i lost my camera so i cannot connect it and use any recovery software unless theres some sort of system folder that it temporarilly places the images into when u plug the usb in. Thank you, for all your help, but i still need to know if there are any hopes of getting any of them back, any help will do PLEASE!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any hope for the files you didn't copy across. I really can't think of any way that even temporary copies would have any reason to have been created on your computer.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

This is a long shot...

When you looked at the pictures, did they open in Internet Explorer? Most of the time I see them open in the XP picture/photo wizard. Still it was worth the question...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

"lost" Contact your local pawn shops and the local police dept with the serial number of the camera. It may turn up somewhere. There is a slim chance that the pictures are still there if the new owner didn't delete them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 S14NXA

S14NXA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

No, they were just in an explorer window, not in Internet Explorer. Thank you guys, i have already contacted my local Police Station and put several signs up around the place i lost it. i will be putting about 50 more up tommorow. That was a good idea SneakyCyber about contacting local Pawn shops, i will be doing so tommorow. Thanks for all your help guys, if u have any more ideas or anything else u think will help me to get my camera back then please post it. Thanks S14NXA!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Wild guess do a SYstem Restore to that day,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users