Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive full, need some space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

I have a 20GB HD that is down to 875MB of unused space. I would like to free up enough to at least defrag the HD( need 15% unused minimum for that). I have gone into the control panel to add/remove and totaled up programs that I have installed. There alone is 5GB. I know this does not include any files associated with each of these, but, just to give an indication of what is there size wise. Windows XP with SP1, SP2, and all updates may be somewhere around 4 to 6GB I think, so that is 10 to 12GB or so total. I delete my cookies. temporary internet file on a regular basis and I had my daughter move most of her music files to CD in an effort to gain space that way.

1. I have read in some previous posts where Rimmer has reccommended CC Cleaner and I have downloaded it and run it. The analysis tells me that I can gain approximately 4.9MB of space. These files appear to be "Temporary Internet Files" so I guess my regular cookie/temporary internet file delete is not getting everyting. My question with CC Cleaner is: Is it safe to do the cleaner function in this utility without major harm?
I used a free version of some thing like this before that did this and cleaned out unneeded registry files. I paid dearly after removing things I wasn't supposed to that wre so called unneed. I can post a copy of the analysis report if someone(RImmer,thad be you) wants to see it to see if it is OK to proceed with the cleaner. This log file is quite lengthy by the way.

2. There is a file in C that is labeled MSOCache that is 300MB in size. These are zip files that I my guess may be tied to WIndows updates(?) and vary in size from 4MB to as little as 193K. The file names are A2561405.CAB(3.4MB), CC561401.CAB(1.6MB),etc. Does anyone know what these files are for and do I need them if windows has updated and used them?

As usual, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The advice in this forum has been helpful to me many times, not just in the few posts I have made but in reading the posts in general.

Oh. I forgot. Just in case someone needs to know:
Dell Dimension 4100 Intel 866MhzP3
20 Gig HD
384 Meg Ram
Invidia GEforce Ti500 Video
Sound Blaster Live

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:39 AM

I have used ccleaner for over a year with no bad results, The issues tab is really helpful, and will remove paths that go nowhere. As for the cab files, I would leave them alone until Someone else responds. Never removed one.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:08 AM

Most zipped files on your hard drive should have been unzipped and used; remove these (save them to disk if you are unsure). I am not sure which version of Windows you are using,but if you computer is running smoothly, you could disable system restore, then re-enable it and set a restore point to the current date to remove prior restore points and save some space that way.
Obviously, any files you can move to disk and then delete will increase your hard drive's free space, as will deleting all those applications you downloaded but don't really use. If push comes to shove, you can also delete any "readme" files.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users