Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pull my finger!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

:flowers: Yeah, its me! Mr. Happy!

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll? I don't know I've never tried it! Now how long does it take to downlowd a video from a web site? I don't know I've never done that either!

Hours, days, weeks maybe? I know dial up is slow but come on!

I'm sick of it! I'm sick of 98se and I'm sick of dial up!

No, I'm not infected or bogged down with spyware! My problem is I don't know how to make this computer do what I want! Thats right, I said it, I'm retarded! I must be or I'd get a better operating system! I hate this old peace of junk and windows 98!

Is there anyone out there that can walk me through what my settings should be to down load videos faster? Maybe I'm just set up wrong! :trumpet:

Thanks for letting me vent! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll?

Really, everybody knows its 3, never watch the owl in the commercial?

And as to your question, you can only shove so much information through a very small pipe. Today's files (video, ect) can be very large and extremely time consuming to move through a dial up connection. Couple that with an older machine which probably has limited resources, you are looking at starting the download before you go to bed hoping for success in the AM :thumbsup:

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll?

Really, everybody knows its 3, never watch the owl in the commercial?

And as to your question, you can only shove so much information through a very small pipe. Today's files (video, ect) can be very large and extremely time consuming to move through a dial up connection. Couple that with an older machine which probably has limited resources, you are looking at starting the download before you go to bed hoping for success in the AM :thumbsup:

Thats right, I remember now, 3! Thanks for for cheering me up. Any ideas on how to ream the old pipe out? Any tweeks?

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

:thumbsup:

As Harrythook said, Mate, you can only get so much data to flow through a small pipe line.

It is a bit like entering a Model T Ford in a Race with modern cars and expect to win?

Unless that Model T is super modified, it would not have a snowballs chance in you know where.

Even with an ultra modern computer with the works fitted to it, downloading Videos in one heck of a slow process.

Any tweaks would just be really a waste of time and money whilst you have dial up.

:flowers:

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Simple! You know the problem,(old system). Now we know the problem. If you want quicker and better you have to buy quicker and better. I had 98se and liked it until XP-PRO. I and many others will get a new system when we want to do more and quicker. It's kind of like gravity. You don't have to understand it. You want it.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

get faster internet
and turn off crap in msconfig
and update video and sound card drivers

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

oh ya and if you have a graphics card control panel turn all settings to low
nvidia and ati have control panesl which is in right click proties then settings and then nvida or ati or other

#8 Mjay22

Mjay22

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:40 AM

Oh this one's easy! :thumbsup: Simply back up all the data on your computer, then take your computer and
toss it out the window. Est. cost for replacing your window, IDK anywhere from $200-$1000? JK...! :flowers:

No seriously, Like what I think Abacus was trying to say, I think it's your internet connection thats getting you mad. Even if you had XP or Vista, or 98se with all the tweaks in the world on a faster computer, its still not going to make your dial up fly. I remember back in the day when I was using AOL dial up, a 4mb file would take anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour to download. I've also noticed that when downloading with dial up services today, you're lucky if you get 25kb's or even 10kb's per second. Therefore with any large size videos, you're looking at anywhere from 2 hours to never getting it downloaded without interruption or error. So in contrast, dial up services are only good for just looking at websites and surfing the internet, if you don't mind waiting awhile for each page to load (Like 15secs to 2 minutes or more). So, the best bet for you, if you want faster download speeds that is, is unfortunately dishing out a little bit more money to get a better and faster internet service. If you look around and are lucky enough, you may find one thats $20 or less a month. But, you have to ditch the dial up service altogether if you want those faster downloads speeds that you're looking for. :trumpet:

Edited by Mjay22, 04 February 2009 - 02:39 AM.

#9 harrythook

harrythook

• Security Colleague
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Try a speed test, just to see how slow it really is:
http://www.speedtest.net/

My results:
Posted Image

Veni Vidi Vici
THE FIGHT AGAINST MALWARE

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

I was running 98SE for years and never had problems with downloading anything. Good ISP trough ADSL connection and lotsa RAM does miracles for slow machines.
On other hand, I have now real fast machine and 10MB ADSL and still sometimes I have to wait for hour to download 100Mb file.
Just like in real life, it all depends on traffic over Internet, time of day, location, server you're downloading from and even distance from your modem and ISP.
I guess magic word would be ADSL connection. If you are lot on da net it's sure worth while paying few bucks a month for better connection. Just think how much you pay for dial up when your download takes like whole night.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I was running 98SE for years and never had problems with downloading anything. Good ISP trough ADSL connection and lotsa RAM does miracles for slow machines.
On other hand, I have now real fast machine and 10MB ADSL and still sometimes I have to wait for hour to download 100Mb file.
Just like in real life, it all depends on traffic over Internet, time of day, location, server you're downloading from and even distance from your modem and ISP.
I guess magic word would be ADSL connection. If you are lot on da net it's sure worth while paying few bucks a month for better connection. Just think how much you pay for dial up when your download takes like whole night.. :trumpet:

I had Win98SE and Dial up years ago. Each time Dial up dropped out, another Phone Call! End of the Month it was around $120 AU on top of my Dial up Plan, which was $25AU. That adds up to $145 per Month!

Plan I have now is ADSL2 and Phone. Total cost per month? Averages $100 AU.

Just goes to show?

I do not have Win98SE anymore, use XP Home, but to use ADSL2 and the Phone cost at least $45 AU a month less.

Dead true if things are hectic on the Net, the downloads go slowly.

:flowers:

:thumbsup:

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

thanks buckshot
that post belongs in the "Hall of Fame" (if there is one)
BleepingDialup

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

I will go with Mjay22 it will save you a lot of head aches. I do know at times this is hard to do, because of money or love,(what ever). I will be upset when XP-PROI is to old and has to be replaced.

#14 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

OK, I GET IT!

I HATE ALL OF YOU!

People with fast computers should be throw in jail and forced to do community service in the getto! LOL

So I'm too cheap to buy a new computer or pay for a faster connection!

So what, don't I deserve love?

What about my pain? LOL

Thanks for the support losers!

Seriously though, I did learn a few things, but unfortunitly for me I have to keep the beast I rode in on for now because its easy to feed and cost effective! Sure it bites me and poops on the floor but its all I got! However I can not wait for it to die so I can have a good reason to get a new one! Waste not want not!

Thanks to everyone who responded! At least now I know whats up! :thumbsup:

#15 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

Just to clarify, I hope everyone knows I was just clowning and meant no offense! I love every body!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users