Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel goes "Not Responding"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlehto

rlehto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I googled the heck out of this, and cannot find a thing... On XP w/SP3, virus scanned clean, hijackthis clear, and otherwise running fast and well. If you bring up "control panel" and switch it from "classic" to "category" view, or vice versa, the control panel window goes solid white, and in task manager it says "not responding". You have to kill it by "X" or kill from task manager. When you do this, all icons on desktop, and any programs that are running on screen, all disappear for about four seconds when control panel app goes away. Then, all previously running apps reappear, no data loss, and all icons reappear on desktop. Except for control panel, which of course I just killed.

Now, when I bring control panel back up again, the requested switch between the views has apparently taken place. i.e. I can switch category view back and forth as stated above, and when restarting control panel, I will get the interface that was previously requested.

Oh, and last thing, if ANY of the icons within control panel are double clicked, in either classic or category view, then it goes into "not responding" and I have to kill control panel, etc...

All forums I have checked mainly concern with virus or malware (found none) or state maybe a .cpl file is corrupt, which would not explain why ALL icons and category view switching kills control panel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Did you try this?
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 rlehto

rlehto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Nope, no-go... The registry contained no such key. I did erase all of the .cpl files in system32 directory, and replace them with .cpl files from system32\dllcache ... After that, I got back function in the classic view. Not the "category view". So what, use classic view, stupid user...

Ten years ago I would've wasted my time whining about this. By this point I am more like Marvin...

Thanks for the assist. Looks like some stupid code-hole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users