Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost my e drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 karo66

karo66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

I got a virus and i went to clean it up and lost my cd rom now neither one of them works and i cant even reformat my computer now cause the drive doesnt work can someone help the only reason I found this out is when I went to burn a cd and it said that it wasnt there

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi karo66,

Let's do these tasks:

First : I suggest making sure you virus problems are solved. Visit these two on-line anti-virus sites and do a free virus scan.

PandaSoft online scan
TrendMicro on-line scan

Let's make sure your computer is clean of viruses.

Second : Click Start - Control Panel - Under category, select Performance and Maintenance - Under Pick a Task, select Administrative Tools - The administrative window will open... select Computer Management (It should be the second item in the window) - The Computer Management window will open. On the left side of this window, select Disk Management . The right side of the window will display all hard drives, cd-rom drives, memory sticks. anything else that would take a drive letter.

What devices does this window show?

Also, if you wish to do a restore, make sure your CD ROM drive is listed as the first boot device in the CMOS setup for your computer. You can enter setup as you power on your computer. Usually setup can be started by pressing delete/F10/F1 or another key sequence. Watch as the computer powers up. Then look for the boot up sequence.

Post back you findings and we will take it from there.

Good Luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 karo66

karo66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:31 PM

all it shows is the c drive nothing else but the partion basic fat and ©partion basic
ntfs what do I do from there

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

Good morning karo66,

Open device manager and see if you have exclaimation marks beside the DISK DRIVES section, or DVD/CD ROMS section. Are there yellow exclaimation marks beside anything? Any Unknown devices?

To enter device manager, press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard (between the CTRL key and the ALT key) and then press the PAUSE - BREAK key (upper right) - Select the hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 karo66

karo66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

I have nothing

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

Good morning,

Use system restore to take your computer back to a point where is was working. Here is the tutorial for using system restore.

BC's system restore tutorial

When you do the restore procedure, it is possible that the virus will return. Again, use the links I gave you to kill the virus.

Let us know how things go...

Rigel

#7 karo66

karo66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:25 AM

OMG WHAT DID I DO WRONG NOW ITS STARTING UP IN DOS MODE ANS STILL DOESNT WORK SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME PLEASE

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

Tell me exactly what you are now seeing. Does the sceen show you boot options? We will fix it. Give me as much detail as possible.

Thanks,

Rigel

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:25 AM

karo66 - It would help everyone reading this thread, trying to work out what caused your problem, if you told us all a bit more about your system, CPU & speed, RAM, Drives, operating system, anti-virus, anti-spyware software, etc, etc. Also what virus did you catch and what did you do to remove it?

Are you saying you had no drives listed in Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives or the drives were there but no exclamation marks?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users