Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover programs after a virus attack

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hcfte

hcfte

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

I have xp SP3 and I just installed IE 8 RC1 after using IE 8 beta 2. Then I had a virus\worm that changed all my settings and deleted my system restore points.

I found a "old system backup" stored in Advanced System Optimiser that I was able to recover and use to get back up and working.

I have done multiple virus & malware scans and followed the threads on how to remove them, I believe my system is clean and all MS updates have been installed.

My system is 80- 90% restored but I have some programs on my desktop that no longer work because they were not installed at the time the backup was taken. All of the program files are still installed but I can't access the programs ( anti virus $ malware programs) useing the shortcuts or start menu.

I would just uninstall and reinstall but the programs don't show up in my Uninstaller.

I do have a recent back up saved to disk but I have recovered most of what I need without useing it. I am not sure how to restore just select Items with the backup.

What is the best way to get my programs working again.

Thanks
Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Depending on the program, you might be able to reinstall without uninstalling. That worked for me when I had a similar virus issue a while back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users