Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer making loud noises when powering on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 funkydunkleman

funkydunkleman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

I have a Gateway, not sure what exact model, it's from 2003.

Anyways, late last night while I was away from the computer, it suddenly started making a really loud whirring noise. I immediately ran in an cut the power, fearing it was on fire or something. After removing the cover and seeing nothing really out of the ordinary, I turned it back on, but it made the loud noise again.

Then, when I turned it on today, the noise was gone.

From what I have concluded, the noise appears to be coming from this box.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/funky.../000_0252-1.jpg

Now I have almost no knowledge of Computer hardware whatsoever. Most of my knowledge is of software.

So can anyone give me any help here?

What is that box? What does it do? Can it be fixed?
Replaced? Manually? Cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

That" box" is the fan and heatsink for the CPU
You're going to have to look at the back of the computer to get the model number to purchase a replacement
Cleaning the heatsink might get you by, but it might also be failing bearings in the fan
Ignoring it and letting it go can damage the computer in a big way
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users