Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

basic wireless routing question...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 christinaemcc

christinaemcc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

So I pay for wireless networking/router through my cable provider.

I own a wireless router (Linkys G old school one from yearsss ago...basic blue/black model).

I have a blue network cable that I connects from my cable box --> my laptop, which gives me internet access.

Best Buy "Geek Squad" has come out and "set up" my wireless network...so that both of my laptops recognized the network automatically, everyday, without ever having to "sign on" or enter a password.

All of a sudden, in June, I must have I got disconnected from my wireless network and my network no longer was recognized on the list of wireless networks available. (example: my network was titled Team_Britney, and it no longer shows up......)

I'm wondering, since I know I pay for my wireless access and that I actually receive internet access (currently via network cable), how can I set up my wireless Lynksys router? And also, how do I set up a new wireless network name & assign a password?

Sorry if this isn't detailed or specific enough... I know this is probably basic computer knowledge, but I've tried to set it up like 3x and I'm so confused. I really don't feel like paying ANOTHER $120 to Geek Squad....

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

From your description, it sounds like the modem has a router built into it. If that is the case, it is possible the old wireless router was not used/needed, or it could be that the wireless router was acting as an access point only (basically bridging the wireless devices to the router without doing any routing itself). To give you some guidance, I would need some additional information.

1. You stated that the computer is currently connected directly to the modem via Ethernet cable. Has that always been the case, or did you rewire after the wireless stopped working?

Forgot 1a. How many ethernet and USB ports are there on the back of the modem?

2. What is the ip address of your wired computer?

3. What make and model cable modem do you have?

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 02 February 2009 - 11:54 AM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users