Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

user access to non-public files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jhboys

jhboys

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'm on Windows Vista - 32 bit.

I apologize for not understanding the terms (and whatnot) enough to know how to ask the question shortly (in less than a hundred words), but ... here's what I know:

I don't care about "sharing" because I'm only dealing with one machine for now, but the issue ... is about sharing. It's about sharing files from one USER ... to another on this one machine. All in the same Vista system. I'm the administrator. I've got two kids, each with their own "username." One has a password. One doesn't. I was on LeAnn's (with a password) user weeks ago and she was in the middle of something (or I was lazy or just curious - I don't remember but it might have been just curiosity on my part) I wanted to access one of my word files from HER user (without leaving her user and logging into mine).

So I did the admin override thing.

And ever since ... I haven't been able to KEEP her from reading all the "word" files in the admin user. It's got to be just a checkmark in a box somewhere but I can't find it. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Read this article about how to stop sharing and permissions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...0b63eb1033.mspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 jhboys

jhboys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Jacee. Thank you. I hadn't read that article, but I'd tried most of that. Now I've tried it all.

When I click "share" on a folder it says "it's already shared." We knew that. So I click "unshare" or whatever. It comes back with "you can't unshare this file because it's in a shared folder."

Fine, so I go to the next folder up the ladder on windows explorer and do the same thing there. And get the same answer "in a shared folder."

the "C" drive and the "D" drive give me a different window when I ask them to "share" (which is fine, but...) they both say unshared. Good.

So the next SMALLER thing I can try to share or unshare is the desktop (which I can't get to give me a "share" option no matter how or where I've yet clicked on it).

Or the "John and Janet" folder which is adjacent (on the same level as) the "public" folder (which is supposed to be shared). Fine, so if I could just unshare the "john and janet" folder I'd be fine, but I can't find a way to do that.

Do you know? (or more importantly - can you describe it to me so that I'll know?!?!)

Thanks. John.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

See the reply here and let us know if it works for you:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-account-admi...r-desktops.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 jhboys

jhboys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

what? where'd my response go? nevermind.

Okay. Jacee. Thanks, but nope. Knew that about the "desktops." No help there.

My user's (the administrator's) desktop is "shared" so I go to "unshare" it and get a window that says "you can't unshare because this folder is IN a shared folder." Sounds easy, but I haven't been able to figure out ... what ... or ... where ... or something ... is the folder (bigger than my desktop) that I need to "unshare." Or (obviously) how.

Thanks. John.

#6 jhboys

jhboys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Okay, so it's a UAC thing maybe. I checked both of the (non-admin) users, and the one with the password had (unwanted) access and the other didn't. So I figured the password was relevant ... and I could go around the challenge by taking LeAnn's password away. Fine. I did... but she still has access and Andrew still does not.

I went to Andrew's user and pretended to open a word file from the admin files section ... and couldn't. The window that opened said something (that didn't seem to be helpful) about UAC. And "Microsoft security" something. So I went there from the control panel and found firewall stuff, but didn't find anything about internal security.

So I still don't know. Hopefully this new information will clue someone as to what would be my challenge. Thanks. John.

#7 jhboys

jhboys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Still curious. I ... DID ... something. I'm not stupid (but evidence often points to the contrary). It may be simple - I just haven't stumbled upon the answer yet. Any suggestions? John.

#8 jhboys

jhboys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Still no help? Hmmm.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Maybe I didn't find the answer ... somewhere in one of the answers I was given.
Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions.
Maybe my attitude has infected the computer ... but I doubt it ... because I've usually got a pretty positive attitude ... so if that were the case ... well ... I'm pretty sure my attitude doesn't infect the computers I touch ... so nevermind.

But I am still looking for answers. Suggestions or questions?

Grace and Peace. John.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

I'm just guessing here, but try logging into your account.
Then locate the folder that she's been able to access (using Windows Explorer).
Right click on the folder and select Properties, then click on the Security tab
Then click on the Advanced button, then on the Owner tab.
Click on the Edit button, then double click on your account name (in the selection box)
Then put a checkmark in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box
Then click on Apply, then on OK.

Close all dialogs by clicking on OK, then log off and log onto the account that you don't want to access that folder - and check to see if you can access it (you shouldn't be able to).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

I would encrypt your documents until you can have your own computer. I have Word 2007, Click the upper left hand button (Office Button), Scroll down to "Prepare", and click on "Encrypt Document". Enter a password and confirm it.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users