Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Disk(s) Fail 40

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hey, I have a:

Pentium 200 MHz
64MB RAM
1 GB HDD (OS is on this drive)
15 GB HDD
1 CD-ROM Drive
2 3.5 Floppy Drives
1 Iomega Zip Drive

This setup was working and not giving me any trouble until I bought an I/O card to install on the computer to support a tape drive. I suddenly start getting "Floppy Disk(s) Fail 40" error every single time I boot up the machine. I've read online and have switched cables, try a different floppy drive, disable the FDD controller on the motherboard, and only once it didn't give me the error; when I put the cable on the I/O drive. However, when I rebooted the machine to make sure it worked, it started giving me the error once again. I even took the card out hoping it would go back to normal, but to no avail. What's wrong? I don't think that every single piece of hardware should just suddenly deteriorate all of a sudden....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Looks to me like you are dealing with rather old equipment...which may be limited in adjusting to new/additional components.

You might try to find a BIOS update for that system. Those used to be generated in order to provide additional functionality to systems which are not running on the same track that today's components are.

Louis

#3 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Hey,

According to my research, both parts are made by DFI; I have downloaded software for the BIOS and will try to get it installed. I hav figured out that if the FDD is enabled and the card is installed, the signal is sent simutaneously and that neither drive works. Hopefully it'll get cleared up when I install the only BIOS I found online...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users