Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED Graphics card info please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 papidropinboxers

papidropinboxers

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

hi im sort of a noob when it comes to graphics card but i was looking to know if this PNY Verto GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB Overclocked Video Card, is compatible with my compaq model 077ch intel pentium 4 processor 1.50ghz ATI RADEON 7200 32MB DDR :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

The thing that restricts which video card you can get is: 1) Which slots your motherboard has and 2) what operating system you use. If you have Windows XP, OS should not be a problem. What slot does the Video card use. Possibilities are PCI-E, AGP and PCI.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Due to the age of that board...definitely not PCI-e. The card you mention is PCI-e.

That board appears to be base of Presario 5000, I saw a BIOS date of 2001.

ATI Radeon 7200 was 4x AGP.

You need something that's either AGP or PCI...I don't know if today's PCI cards are faster than AGP, seems like comparing apples and oranges to me. Someone else's input will be a lot better than mine :thumbsup:.

In any case, I suggest looking at both TigerDirect and Newegg as vendors, rather than Amazon. Both seem to have a number of card that can accommodate your board.

Louis

#4 papidropinboxers

papidropinboxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

ahh i see now is it possible is i just buy a new motherboard? and if so can i buy anythat is pcie 16 bit compatible or do i need compaq mother boards? thanks for the help!

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

It all depends (that's becoming my standard pat answer) :thumbsup:.

You could do one of several things, depending on how much money you intend to spend on this.

But first...yes, you can normally always replace a motherboard. But...sometimes you also need to replace the CPU when you do that...and then sometimes you need to replace the RAM. Those three components pretty much go together to form the heart of any system.

Sometimes you can/should change individual components...but, more often these days, the user/owner is better off ditching those three and going with something more recent, speedier, and of higher quality. Even a cheap motherboard today is much better than your Presario board of years gone by...and the CPU/RAM necessary to fit/run that board is infinitely better.

You do not need Compaq motherboards...not unless you are in love with your case and the case is nonstandard. But, it probably would not hurt to get a new case if you decided to get a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo...because you will wind up with a newer/better PSU (if not the best, but you don't need the best).

Before I go too far into this, I must say that I realize not everyone has the money to spend on new computer components just because they want them. I fit into that category of persons.

I figured out some time ago...that I could replace my computer systemeach year, if I so chose...at a cost of less than $6 a month. I consider that a bargain, considering that I've spent $4 today for a bag of potato chips that didn't even last a day :huh:.

I also realize that any system sold in the last two years or so...is more than I need for my mundane things I do on the computer. If I was able to do these same things (albeit slower) on an AMD 900 mHz system...I can get by on a system that's at least twice that fast, probably moreso...and which has newer components which are less likely to fail at any given moment.

$6 a week times 52 weeks = $300 as my allowed expenditures for a new system (motherboard/RAM/CPU/1 or 2 drives, maybe a new power supply unit every 2/3 years.

So....when I look at system prices new, I have that figure in mind. I don't pretend to be a gamer, I don't pretend that my system is my life...it's a tool I can use for varied enjoyment in a number of ways and the performance criteria today far exceed anything I need.

Sorry for being long-winded...but that's who I am :huh:.

The purpose of all this is...to get you to do a little soul-searching...to find out what is really best for you, at this point. Is it worthwhile to spend more money on a system that belongs to the computer past? Is it worthwhile to do piecemeal patches/fixes until something occurs with that system that you cannot patch without spending more than it's worth?

OK, I should have asked this a long time ago...what made you pick that particular video card out...as worthy of your throwing cash around? Out of all the cards out there...why that one?

What capability is that card going to give you...that you think you need? Are you a gamer? What games?

Those answers will probably help us to steer you down the proper alley B).

Here's a good illustration of what I mean, http://kaileypc.com/store/agora.cgi?p_id=00204&xm=on

Do you see that all of those P4 systems, regardless of clock speed, are available (refurbed) for less than $100?

My question is why would I buy a refurbed system of that vintage (or components for such)...when I could just put together a much newer, faster one (with warranties) for a bit more?

Louis

#6 papidropinboxers

papidropinboxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Let me just start off by saying that you've given me a great perspective on things i appreciate that and also no need to apologize i totally understand you and thank you :thumbsup:. Now as far as why i choose the PNY Verto GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB Overclocked Video Card, i choose it because im a gamer with high demands about graphics ive notice my brother and other people raving about it so i decided i would also purchase it, especially being that me and my brother are practically the same type of gamers so i think i could trust him. i looking forward to play games like Spore-Elder scrolls IV-Crysis ect on mainly high settings so i thought for a 100 dollars i couldnt beat the price of the card what do you think? :huh:

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

I'm not a gamer, but others here are much more knowledgeable about these things and they will be along to try to help you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users