Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

choppy scrolling...it's not the mouse, me thinks.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rustedgrayspectre

rustedgrayspectre

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:33 AM

man oh man, this is a part of a MUCH LARGER conversation posted over the past week, concerning a really annoying problem i'm having with scrolling in windows. i thought the problem was the result of malware effects originally, but it turns out it has something to do with mechanics of my computer. essentially, my scrolling is super choppy; whether i use the scroll bar on the right or the wheel on my mouse, it reacts VERY slow and the window shifts down and up disjointed. the rest of my computer's performance is perfectly fine and moves as quickly as it should. see the last 4 or 5 posts in my conversation with Old Timer for more details:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=19622&hl=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Several options come to mind. tools/internet options/advanced/ scrool(that's a choppy scroll) down around the bottom and make sure to "enable smooth scrolling". If that doesn't work,clean the mouse, open control panel, select mouse and diddle with the settings until the pointer is moving smoothly. If all that doesn't work, roll back your driver.

Edited by gunner, 29 May 2005 - 07:05 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 rustedgrayspectre

rustedgrayspectre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:03 PM

hey, i've tried all of the settings in "control panel"....it's a laser mouse...and i really think it might be a driver issue. i know nothing about drivers or cards, but i noticed i haven't been able to properly install my "video controller" because the drivers responsible are not installed; when i attempt to install the drivers, it says it cannot loacate the necessary software. i have no idea about any of this stuff, but i think i might be on to something? thanks a ton.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:02 AM

Do you know what sort of video card you have? If not, you can download Everest Home Edition for free and it will give you hardware information that will help us determine what's going wrong. It certainly sounds like your video drivers are messed up.

You can go to this page and scroll down (sorry) to the link where it says "Click here to download Everest Home Edition for Free."

If you already know what the video card or onboard video is, tell us that. It's a good place to start.

#5 rustedgrayspectre

rustedgrayspectre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

i'm not sure if this is right...but everest says i have a "video adapter" called
nVIDIA GeForce MX 100/200.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:20 AM

Thats good info. You have two sources now for your drivers. The Motherboard manufacturer and NVidia. If your video adapter is a standalone card then you would use their driver. If the NVidia adapter is a chipset embedded in your Motherboard you would go with the drivers supplied by them.

The more relevant information would be the make and model number of your motherboard and the chipset type. Using Everest, look to the left hand side under the Menu tab for Motherboard>Motherboard and Motherboard>Chipset.

Do you have a CD with drivers on it that came with the computer/motherboard?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 rustedgrayspectre

rustedgrayspectre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

okay...the motherboard name is "Gigabyte GA-7VTXE"
motherboard id is "62-1008-001199-00101111-071595-VIA_K7$GA7VTXE1_SNC302EEH - GA-7VTXE BIOS V3.0/F3"

the chipsets...
North Bridge: VIA VT8366A Apollo KT266A
South Bridge: VIA VT8233C

that's about all i could manage from your directions; i inherited this computer so i'm not sure if i have a cd that goes to the video drivers...thanks.

#8 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

hey, i've tried all of the settings in "control panel"....it's a laser mouse...and i really think it might be a driver issue. i know nothing about drivers or cards, but i noticed i haven't been able to properly install my "video controller" because the drivers responsible are not installed; when i attempt to install the drivers, it says it cannot loacate the necessary software. i have no idea about any of this stuff, but i think i might be on to something? thanks a ton.

If cleaning do not work just barrow another mouse and test it JL

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

Test it with a cheap mouse you can buy for less than $5.

Plug the cheap mouse in, boot the computer and see if your scrolling is smooth.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

GigaByte has a utility that identifies your motherboard chipset and suggests the best drivers. You can find that here. You can get drivers from Via also but I find its best to go with the Mobo maker rather than the chipset maker in most cases.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I have the same issue with 2 computers.

Its not the mouse.

Its something to do with the video card, chip, or drivers.

"Smooth Scrolling" does jack nothin'.

Please post if you come up with a solution and I shall do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users