Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows explorer not opening, perhaps due to spyware.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 meowinahat

meowinahat

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:22 AM

hi everyone.

it seems to be a common problem that i am having. it started recently that my computer decided it did not want to access secure sites. so i looked online and decided it was time to install those annoying windows XP updates (i have professional). and i did. i have also been receiving an error message when i start up that says "windows explorer has encountered an error and must close". typically i can click send error report, and the computer will start up fine. however, today is different. it has been sitting without icons or a toolbar for a few hours now.

i would appreciate any help i could get. i have attached a hijack this log, if someone could look at it, and i'd be more than willing to provide any additional information. however, i tried to download the DDS program, but my internet isn't working either. so, that's a problem...

thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meowinahat

meowinahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

ok. this morning, it was able to open, but it seems like it has started up, and looks a lot like windows 98. i tried connecting to the internet and it says "no supported wireless adapters available in the system" which is a lie. i don't know what's wrong :thumbup2:

#3 chryssi2001

chryssi2001

• Members
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hello meowinahat,

I apologise for the delay the forum is busy.

I will be assisting you with your malware issues.
  • Whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.
  • Continue to respond to this thread until I give you the All Clean! If you have any question or you're stuck in there please reply it to me. I will try my best to help you!
  • Please bookmark or favourite this page. In case you need it as reference or etc.
  • If you fail to reply in 5 days period from now, this thread will close, and you will have to open another topic, and wait for another helper.
----------------------------------------------
I case you can't access Internet with the infected pc, please download this tool, trasnfer and run it on the infected pc using a USB (Flash Drive). If it can't run, re-download it, and rename before saving it, and then transfer it to the infected pc.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Checked (tick) all items except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location.
  • The log can also be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
  • Post that log back here.
----------------------------------------------
Post back:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware report.
A new HijackThis log.
Posted Image
Private Messages for personal support will be ignored. If you need help post in the forum.

#4 chryssi2001

chryssi2001

• Members
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is now closed and will not be reopened.
If you still need help, begin a new topic.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.
Posted Image
Private Messages for personal support will be ignored. If you need help post in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users