Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need hardrive recomendation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Highveelocity

Highveelocity

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

I currently have a WD1600ys. Looking for something similar that perform well. I don't play games but I do plan on running Autocad from it. Mine has a 16 MB cache, and the other WD's on the computer store only have 8mb cache, would that make a huge difference?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

I currently have a WD1600ys. Looking for something similar that perform well. I don't play games but I do plan on running Autocad from it. Mine has a 16 MB cache, and the other WD's on the computer store only have 8mb cache, would that make a huge difference?

Cache makes very little performance difference. The WD VelociRaptor and the Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000 are much faster than the WD1600YS.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

Newegg has the WD6400AAKS for 59.99/free shipping now. I have that drive as well as 2 WD6401AALS (1 for me, one for a customer build).

Anyway, I have about the same results with all drives of the same "class". The only stuff I am avoiding now are certain Seagate drives due to a firmware problem that hopefully should be fixed now/soon. It's hard to recocomend one brand over another as failure rates are pretty close for all. I shop by size/speed and warranty, brand isn't really a consideration. I have had all brands of HD fail on my stuff as well as customers rigs and there is no rhyme nor reason to it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Highveelocity

Highveelocity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

Cache makes very little performance difference. The WD VelociRaptor and the Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000 are much faster than the WD1600YS.

The velociraptor is $225, I'm trying to stay under $80, and I don't even need the 160 that I have, a 120 will probably suffice

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

The velociraptor is $225, I'm trying to stay under $80, and I don't even need the 160 that I have, a 120 will probably suffice

Part of the problem is the older small capacity hard drives aren't nearly as fast (transfer speed) as newer larger drives due to the areal density of the platters. You can find the older/smaller drives but the price/megabyte is higher and they are slower as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users