Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed: search engine hijack

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Noah N.

Noah N.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

EDIT: I managed to get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to run and removed 9 infected items. Everything appears to be working fine now.

Hello,

On my wife's computer, when searching from google or yahoo, all of the links are redirected. First through this IP address: 77.91.228.48, then to one of various pages, like toseeka.com, aicse.com, searchexplorer.com, etc.

She's running XP SP3 and this happens in both IE (version 7.0.5730.11) and FF (version 3.0.5).

There, unfortunately, wasn't any antivirus running at the time. I have since installed AVG Free 8.0.233 (virus db version 270.10.6/1894), but haven't been able to connect to the update site to get the most recent version. I ran it with this version, but it didn't come up with anything.

I have tried installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (renamed it to get it to install & run), but I get 2 messages saying "Run-time error '0'" and "Run-time error '440': Automation error".

I also tried to install Superantispyware, but got "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

So, that's where I am now. Any help would be appreciated.

--Noah

Edited by Noah N., 02 February 2009 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:08 AM

Have you tried renaming the mbam executable in the program folder?

mbam.exe

Show Hidden Folders/Files
  • Open My Computer.
  • Go to Tools > Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
  • Select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide extensions of known file types.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Click Yes when prompted.
  • Click OK.
  • Close My Computer.
http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp

the latest manual database 1714 was just updated
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users