Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't power up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 proudpapa

proudpapa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

I have a HP DV1331SE laptop that won't power up. It runs Win XP Home SP3. It's been running like a champ till now.

It went to standby one night & it never woke up. Tried power button, of course, to no avail. No LED's lit up, no nothing.

Actually it did it once before the night before, and after I returned home, plugged it in and after about 3 hours of non-responsiveness, it magically started back up.

Went to Hp's site, they suggested to re-seat memory chips.
Also to disconnect power adapter & battery & hold power button down for 1 minute. Then try to power up.
Nope! Didn't work.

Battery seems to be ok, lasts about an hour & a half, maybe, although it's 4 yrs old.
Also took a multi-meter to the power adapter, it read the nominal 18.5 volts like it should, so that checks out.

Power switch? Is it replaceable?
Power supply? Is it integrated or is it replaceable?

I'm open to any suggestions right now. Is it fixable? or is it worth it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

When you say it would not power up, I take that to mean the fan didn't start spinning when you hit the power button.

Try taking everything removable out of the computer and see if it will power on. When I say power on, I mean the fans start spinning and the power light is on.

#3 proudpapa

proudpapa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

When you say it would not power up, I take that to mean the fan didn't start spinning when you hit the power button.

Try taking everything removable out of the computer and see if it will power on. When I say power on, I mean the fans start spinning and the power light is on.

I did take out everything, except 1 stick of RAM. It did boot up once. I then replaced one part at a time, tried to start, but got nothing. Tried once for each piece removed, but nothing. It's very erratic & it hasn't started since. When it does power up, yes, the fan runs & I can hear the hard drive run as well as the LED's lighting up. Tried picking & pulling at the standby switch, as that is when the trouble first started, but alas, still nothing.

However, I'm still holding out hope that someone might have a clue. I hate to lose this thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users