Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"BUY AMERICAN"

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Wondering what Members thoughts, are on this part of President Obama's Stimulus Plan.
Personally,I don't like Protectionism, as I think it will not stimulate the Economy,to create 3 Million new Jobs.
I also think, it has as many Negatives, as Positives,going down this path.
As well as upsetting trading Partners.
Your Thoughts,are welcome. :thumbsup:
LINK. Full Story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Since the heading is "Buy American" ... I only wish we could. Buy Canadian or American, for that matter.

It is very difficult to do so, oddly enough. Nearly all the clothes in our shops are not made in either Country ... and so much of our food isn't either. (Why our tomatoes, etc come from Mexico when we raise them locally is quite beyond me). A screwdriver ... chances are huge it's made elsewhere too.

At least if one has the choice of "Buying American" (or "Canadian"), we'd be assured safety standards are met ... 'free trade' alone and the lack of controls may make President Obama's plan easier to implement, perhaps.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

From what I have read on Protectionism,that it isn't the way to go. Goods would cost much more, and the only one's to gain is the Government.Sounds a good idea,however in practice,I feel it would hurt the Econony.
America has tried Proctectionism,previous,and it didn't work. Can't see how it would really help at this time.
Fact of the matter is,your Country and mine, can't produce Goods as cheap as, say South East Asia can.
Great to say "Buy American"but at this time,when money is so tight,one is forced to buy the cheapest,in order to survive.
I think this will hurt America.
Another Article on the Subject.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/tradeande...edom/wm2256.cfm

Edited by DSTM, 02 February 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

The Changing Effects of Trade on American Workers [1]
In the 1950s and 1960s, the U.S. was the world's leading export powerhouse. The Marshall plan helped provided the capital needed to rebuild Europe and Japan, and fueled a tremendous demand for U.S. exports.

During this period, the U.S. ran a substantial trade surplus, of about one percent of Gross Domestic Product, as shown in Figure 1. The U.S. also benefited initially from strong export demand in a wide range of industries, from low-tech textiles and apparel to sophisticated aircraft and machine tools.

From: The U.S. Trade Deficit: Are We Trading Away Our Future?
By Robert E. Scott
THIS TESTIMONY WAS GIVEN BEFORE THE COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC POLICY AND TRADE ON JULY 22,1999.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

the reason we cant buy american is because not every country has the same labor standards as here in america. thats why people outsource in the first place. when shoe companies can pay 12 year old asians pennies to make shoes, why make them here? when its cheaper to ship in mexican produce that buy your own locally, why buy american? its impossible, maybe the president and all our rich congressmen can do that, buts its definitely not possible for everyone. i mean people are losing their houses and cant pay for their children to play sports. its getting bad, and you can only expect people to buy the cheapest product
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Agree,Ryan. You hit the nail on the head with your Post. :thumbsup:

50 YRS ago,America was a dominant Manufacturing Nation.Other Nations have caught up. and now most goods are imported,because the cheap labour costs.
No American could even survive on the hourly rates,the Aisans are paid.
Add to that. the Trillians of Dollars. needed to bring Manufacture back to America.
I can't see. it's even feasible.
The Debt America has now,in the Trillions, and Borrow many Trillions,to "Buy American"I can't see will work.
Not a good Legacy of Debt,to leave your Children,and future Generations.IMHO.
Almost nothing here has "Made in Australia" on it,so you are not on your own.
We have had bad Government Decisions,for too long,and I fear we have missed the Boat,as they say.
Only a Miracle,could fix the Economy,and Hope President Obama can,but it will take years. :flowers:

#7 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

well im 21 and so i guess i am one of those "children." i may not have kids cause its just too expensive these days
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Almost nothing here has "Made in Australia" on it, ...

Huh?

Isn't "Fosters" Australian for "beer"!?

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I didn't say everything,John. :thumbsup:
I said ALMOST.
Fosters Beer, is brewed under licence, in many Countries,including the US,and China,so how does that create more OZ Jobs?
Very few famous OZ Icons,are still produced here.
When you get Chinese Labour for $1.75 A DAY,Patriotism is not even considered.

Take Philip Knight of Nike. The 6th richest man in America.
No incentives are going to get Philip Knight, to bring his manufacture,back onshore.
Cost per pair to produce Nike Shoes in China is around $5,and sell upwards of $100.
In my opinion,this Stimulus to the Economy, won't work.
Asian Labour Rates.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Boycotts...hird_facts.html

Edited by DSTM, 02 February 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

I wonder if part of the problem is there are too many people like me - people who don't spend any time researching the source of so many things purchased without much thought. And while it certainly wouldn't cure the world's financial woes - and heaven forbid schools ever appear to 'pick on' a Company such as Nike ... perhaps we need to start our changes in small ways in many, many areas.

For instance, there are few who care as much about our world as our kids do, no matter what their age. Perhaps part of our school Social Studies could incorporate a class to teach children things that are actually relevant to their lives and future. An example ... children could being in one of their favourite things ... a pair of shoes, an IPod or whatever ... and the class could discuss where it's made, how it's made and by whom, etc - and what is life in other Countries for the people who make the things we so easily take for granted.

On a personal level, while I'd be in dire straits if trying to wear only clothing made in Canada, I can (and do) buy locally grown produce and meat, etc from tiny shops or Farmer's Market when things are in season.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

:flowers:

Actually, for America, maybe a very close look now at the Farm subsidies schemes where Farmers are actually paid not to grow crops?

Why not convert this to encourage them to produce goods for the Markets that would compete with exports? It would entail little Cost in the long term, but provide a cheaper source of supply for selected Produce, instead of just throwing money at it.

It is just a simple thing, but would create more Jobs locally.

Edit.

In regard to Cheap Asian labor? Actually there are Millions of Chinese out of work as a result of the meltdown and they are a real worry to the Government in China, so it is really Global.

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 February 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Years ago when I screamed about NAFTA people though I was crazy. Well be care full what and who you vote for you might get it. It's very hard to buy American because we no longer make it in America. Out sources of jobs to other countries and that includes you personal information. That alone is a good reason to very care full with your computer. SECURITY ON LINE AND WITH YOUR BANKING ECT. IS VERY CRITICAL.

#13 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

It is hard to buy anything American, even GM cars have ~30% of foreign parts in them. Try to find anything made in America at a Wall*Mart.

Edited by GTK48, 02 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Wall Mart was named after THE GREAT WALL .

#15 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

:flowers:

Animal's Post reminded me of how Australia once was.

Back in the same period, Australia ranked in the top four Economies in the World, right up there with America. We had a thriving manufacturing base and were undertaking one of the Biggest engineering feats, dubbed "The Modern Wonder of the World." it was called the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

Link to it.

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/snowyscheme/

I was just a boy then, I grew up with the Kids of many of the workers that came from all over the World to work on it.

Back then, Australia was very protectionist and even had a "White Australia Policy" that precluded Asians from emigrating here, yet had a very high life style, because the workers that were earning good wages were spending them locally on local produce.

Once that Scheme was completed on time and to a Budget of $AU820million, instead of doing similar projects up our mountainious areas, to help even further open up our inland areas for cropping, the Government of the day decided to stop. Then slowly, one by one, our major manufacturers went under, trying to compete with Imports that were allowed into the Country by the Government. Similar to America today?

We had the "Buy Locally Made Goods" drives many times, still do, but as several Members have said, "How can you buy some thing that is no longer manufactured locally?"

Just take Electronics, as an example? Televisions, Computers, Hi Fi System. They may well seem to be manufactured locally, but in reality the components are made in Asia.

It is quite a paradox when it is shown that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users