Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 bcheng123

bcheng123

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

use portable_trojan_remover & found "twex.exe", remove it, then want to install other program to scan my computer: spybotSDportable, mbam & combofix. But can't install/run those program.

So, the following is my HiJackThis.log & dds.txt & attach.txt

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hello, bcheng123
:thumbup2: to BleepingComputer.com

My name is Billy O'Neal and I will be helping you. (Billy or Bill is fine, if you like.)
Please give me some time to look over your computer's log(s).
Please take note of the following:
  • In the meantime, please refrain from making any changes to your computer.
  • Also, even if things appear to be running better, there is no guarantee that everything is finished. Please continue to check this forum post in order to ensure we get your system completely clean. We do not want to clean you part-way up, only to have the system re-infect itself. :)
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Finally, please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower left hand corner of your screen.
We need to uninstall one or more programs
Please click on Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the following programs(if present):
Java™ 6 Update 2
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

We need to scan for Rootkits with GMER
  • Please download GMER from one of the following mirrors:
  • Close any and all open programs, as this process may crash your computer.
  • Unzip the downloaded file to your desktop.
  • Double click Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may see this window. If you do, click No.
    Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image and wait for the scan to finish.
  • If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • Push Posted Image and save the logfile to your desktop.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of that file in your next post.
In your next reply, please include the following:
  • GMER's Log

BillyIII
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

i uninstalled the list of stuffs already. i download the gmer file, unzip to desktpo, double click, but nothing happen. nothing pop up or anything running.
i did close all the IE & other stuffs that are running.
What should i do next?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

Please rename the GMER.EXE to something random, such as "blobfinder.exe", and try again.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

here is the gmer.log

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hello, bcheng123
Your System is Infected with a Backdoor!!
Backdoors cause severe damage to windows' internals, and allow an attacker complete control over the infected system. Because this state allows the attacker to download new malware on demand, log keystrokes, execute programs, and/or view the system's screen, it is recommended to reformat and reinstall the operating system on this machine. Several experts in the security community believe that once a system is infected with one of these types of backdoors, the system itself can never be trusted again.

I ask that you disconnect this system from the internet NOW!. While it is attached to the internet, the attacker can modify the system, and prevent fixes from working as intended.

Another danger of this type of infection is that of Identity Theft. Because such malware can read all of your passwords, bank account numbers, etc. from your keystrokes, I would recomend contacting banking institutions accessed from this machine to ensure your accounts are secure. Most banks will not charge to send you new credit/debit cards, and getting these numbers replaced would be a good idea. It would also be a good idea to change passwords for anything you commonly use online. Online stores, Facebook/Myspace, Email, etc. If it has been on that machine it may have been read by someone else. Don't do it from this machine, as it is now compromised. Do it from another known clean machine. A good place to do this is at your local public library.

I would strongly recomend format and reinstallation of this machine. For more information, you may wish to read one of these excellent articles:Please let me know if you wish to continue to clean this machine or if you wish to format.

BillyIII
Posted Image

#7 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:54 PM

i was rename the combofix to scan the my system & found some file that combofix delete.

according to what you said, the only solution to have a clean computer is to format & reinstall everything?
is there ways to complete clean my computer without format & reinstall everything?

i also include the log from combofix.
but i ran combofix twice, so the old log replaced by this new one.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hello, bcheng123
That is correct. While the specific file has been identified and can be deleted, several in the security community believe a system which has ever had this type of malware installed to be untrustworthy, even if the backdoor itself is removed.

Actually, you ran ComboFix not twice but three times.

Please post the contens of the files:
C:\qoobox\combofix2.txt
C:\qoobox\Combofix3.txt
C:\qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

BillyIII
Posted Image

#9 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

ok, here are the txt file

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hello, bcheng123
We need to re-run ComboFix with some additonal directives.
  • Please disable any running anti-virus programs.

If you are unsure how to do this, see this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/

• Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
  • Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199953/possible-infection/
    collect::
    c:\windows\system32\T.COM
    c:\windows\R.COM
    file::
    C:\23990098.$$$
  • Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe
  • Posted Image
    Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you at "C:\ComboFix.txt". Please copy and paste that report here.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

I would like us to use ESET (NOD32)'s Online Scanner
  • Please go to ESET OnlineScan (NOD32)
  • You will then see the Terms of Use, tick the check-box infront of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start
  • Should you face a Security Warning that asks if you want to install and run a file called "OnlineScanner.cab", click Yes
  • Click Start
    • Note: (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, tick: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan
  • The Onlinescan will now start and scan your pc (this could take a while)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software, just close the window
  • Click Start >> Run... >> type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The Scanresults will now open in Notepad
  • Click into the text area, right-click and chose "select all" (or use +A)
  • Right-click again and chose "Copy" (or +C)
  • Close/Exit Notepad
  • Navigate to this thread and post your log along with anything else requested from us, by right-clicking and "paste" (or ctrl+v) in the text area of the reply post you just created.
Note: For Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)

In your next reply, please include the following:
  • ComboFix.txt
  • ESET OnlineScan's Log

BillyIII
Posted Image

#11 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

ESET
# version=4
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.635
# OnlineScannerDLLA.dll=1, 0, 0, 79
# OnlineScannerDLLW.dll=1, 0, 0, 78
# OnlineScannerUninstaller.exe=1, 0, 0, 49
# vers_standard_module=3846 (20090211)
# vers_arch_module=1.064 (20080214)
# vers_adv_heur_module=1.066 (20070917)
# EOSSerial=1474c449eae39e4d9a2f378c7ec71ba4
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# utc_time=2009-02-12 02:59:16
# local_time=2009-02-11 09:59:16 (-0500, Eastern Standard Time)
# country="Canada"
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# scanned=182264
# found=6
# scan_time=1394
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\UACiqpevowo.dll.vir Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\UACjctqotpg.dll.vir Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\UACojdarvji.dll.vir Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\UACrmtvoxjk.dll.vir Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (unable to clean - deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\_UACgtsvumpp_.sys.zip Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (deleted) 00000000000000000000000000000000
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\_UACgtsvumpp_.sys.zip »ZIP »UACgtsvumpp.sys Win32/Olmarik.FT trojan (error while cleaning - operation unavailable for this type of object - error while deleting - operation unavailable for this type of object - was a part of the deleted object) 00000000000000000000000000000000

Edited by bcheng123, 11 February 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hello, bcheng123
Congratulations! You now appear clean! :thumbup2:

Are things running okay? Do you have any more questions?

System Still Slow?
You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance.
If that does not work, you can try the steps mentioned in Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware
We Need to Remove ComboFix
  • Please go to Start -> Run
  • Enter "ComboFix /u" (without quotes). Note the space betwen "ComboFix" and "/u", it needs to be there.
    Posted Image
  • Press OK (Or hit enter).
  • Allow ComboFix to remove itself.
We Need to Clean Up Our Mess
  • Please download OTCleanIt from one of the following mirrors and save it to your desktop:
  • Double click the Posted Image icon.
  • Push the large "Cleanup" button.
  • Allow your system to reboot.
Recommendations
Below are some recommendations to lower your chances of (re)infection.
  • Install Spyware Blaster and update it regularly
    If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.
  • Install the MVPs hosts file, and update it regularly
    You can use the HostMan host file manager to do this automaticly if you wish.
    For more information on the hosts file, and what it can do for you, you can view the Tutorial on the Hosts file
  • Install an Anti-Spyware program, and update it regularly
    Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
    SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
    Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
  • Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!
    I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holes will allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.

If you are using Windows XP or earlier
    Visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!

If you are using Windows Vista
    • Click the "Start Menu" (or Windows Orb)
    • Click "All Programs"
    • Click "Windows Update"
    • On the left, choose "Change Settings"
    • Ensure that the checkbox "Use Microsoft Update" at the bottom of the window is checked.
    • Press OK and accept the UAC prompt.
      Note: You shouldn't need to check this checkbox every single time you update, only the first time.
    • Click "Check for Updates" in the upper left corner.
    • Follow the instructions to install the latest updates.
    • Reboot and repeat the "Check for Updates" until there are no more critical updates to install
  • Keep your other software up to date as well
    Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on your machine.
  • Stay up to date!
    The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variants every single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing :).
BillyIII
Posted Image

#13 bcheng123

bcheng123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

so, is that mean i don't need to reformat & reinstall windows?

#14 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

The specific backdoor that was present on the machine has been removed. However, once such a backdoor has EVER been installed -- even if the backdoor is removed -- I wouldn't trust such a machine -- especially if it was one handling my passwords and bank account information.

I am reasonably sure your machine appears clean, but again, I don't trust such infections. If I were you, I'd nuke and pave.

Billy3
Posted Image

#15 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hello, bcheng123
Since this issue appears resolved, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me or another moderator a PM.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

BillyIII
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users