Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fire fox, who has it?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

im really thinking about changing my brower to fire fox, but i want to get a better understanding of it first. any thoughts?

thanks,
Lindaga35

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

I have some thoughts...what is it that you think FF will give you that you don't have with IE?

Just curious (I've never once thought that a browser was important enough to go "shopping" for one, even back in the old days Mosaic, Netscape, et alia).

I use IE because it seems to do the job and I don't expect more than that out of a browser...but others will disagree with my simplistic approach.

You might be interested in this link (which won't answer your query, but might be interesting): http://www.livinginternet.com/w/wi_browse.htm

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I use both I.E. and Firefox. Just choose one to be your home page. I have some sites I use for on line training that will not allow Firefox. I don't know why it's that way. If you have two browsers on your computer and one shuts down at the server you can use the other one.

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

same here with layback bear. I use both. I can't watch netflix online with Firefox but i love the Bookmark and addons of Firefox
Posted Image

#5 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

ie seems to be slow so i thought i would check out fire fox. my friend says its easier to find stuff and its plain easier.

she has both and she just swiches back and forth when one dont work.

Linda

Edited by lindaga35, 01 February 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#6 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

I primarily use Firefox. I like the numerous addons I can run, which come in handy at work (I do web development and some security consulting). The extensibility framework seems to make it easier to make addons to customize Firefox to your needs.

That being said, I do use IE, as well as Chrome and Opera, for work too. I haven't had issues with being blocked on Firefox yet. For me, its all about the customization options.

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 01 February 2009 - 09:27 PM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#7 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

It is the only browser I will use. I have been using it since it was called Phoenix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

I use Firefox. It's default in Ubuntu and Opera has never loved me. I also use Chrome since it seems to be more lightweight than either IE of Firefox3 (I really liked 1 and 2)

Posted Image

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:55 AM

Have used FF some, but found while trying to scroll up and down with the wheel on the mouse, it became very choppy and didn't scroll smooth with any speed. Use IE mostly for doing anything else.

#10 Opalfruit

Opalfruit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:58 AM

i use Firefox and Opera but use Firefox a lot more due to its custom ability its a far better browser than IE and as a general rule apart from the OS stay away from any microsoft software they are all crap ie Windows firewall Windows Live One Care and the awful WMP

Edited by Opalfruit, 02 February 2009 - 02:59 AM.

#11 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:39 AM

Have used FF some, but found while trying to scroll up and down with the wheel on the mouse, it became very choppy and didn't scroll smooth with any speed. Use IE mostly for doing anything else.

There are settings in Options to fix that.

#12 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

im really thinking about changing my brower to fire fox[/color]

I use firefox, opera and internet explorer is needed for windows updates. I too like the customization ability of firefox and opera. Why not just download firefox and give it a spin - trial it - and see if you like it and compare the two browsers.

Firefox download and other resources: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Bleepingcomputer tutorial Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/switching-from-internet-explorer-to-firefox/

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

From what I have learned for this site and others it's more secure. I really don't know for sure; but being a security nut, well you get it.

#14 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

i did down load it and so far i do love it. i really think i will stay with it, but i am keeping ie just for the updates.

thanks for all of your posts.

Lindaga

#15 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

A new release Firefox 3.06 should be out sometime tomorrow afternoon EST. Just a security update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users