Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bleeh

Bleeh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have an HP m7680n. It turned off by itself, and would not turn on by pushing the button. After searching many sights I tried several things. First I checked the PSU. It puts out 5.1 volts and 11.9v on the red. I finally jumped the green wire to a black on my 20 pin and it wiil start up. Ran checks on everything with PC doc and everything seems to work fine. Problem is if I shut it down it won't start again unless I jump it. Any ideas? or what I might check?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

:thumbsup: To bleepingcomputer..

If you are able to turn the computer on with jumping the green wire I would suspect your power switch first. Trace the lead from the power switch back to your motherboard and using a small screwdriver (ballpoint pen works too) jump the two pins and see if the computer turns on. If it does then your switch is worn out, if it doesn't then there is something wrong with the circuit in the motherboard. Could be a power supply issue but you said everything tested out ok.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

Had the power-switch button go out on a new computer I just built for a friend after only about 3 weeks running. Had never had one go out before and just got a new case (w/PS) and moved everything over. Found out by jumping the pins like mentioned above.

At least she has a backup PS for use if the new one goes out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users