Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought used Gateway computer from library; can't add Spybot, says can't be written; what do i do?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 economy

economy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hi, trying to save money for family bought a hulk of a used computer from the public library; everything wonderful except when I try to install, say, Spybot, the computer message is "cannot be written" and in various installation-choice boxes the box is a soft gray, as if the computer has been programmed not to accept any sort of program to be installed in it.
Any advice? Feel very insecure with no antispyware of any sort; don't know what I can do. The computer was sold as-is; was this the catch? :blink:

Edited by economy, 01 February 2009 - 04:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

Are you the Administrator?
Whether this was a stand-alone computer or part of a network, Ill bet it has some security measures in place to prevent the public from altering their settings.
You might not even be able to access the recovery partition and end up having to but a XP CD
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 economy

economy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Me again. I guess I don't know enough about computers to know if I am the administrator, though I have found something that is filled in with "Administrator" and then below, the box is just blank for password.
But no, I haven't done anything to set myself up as administrator, and wouldn't know how to excercise rights as an administrator...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well...if you can actually boot into XP...I suggest that you:

a. Download/install SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html and run it. Write down the information under the Licenses sub-category.

b. Determine whether you have XP Home or XP Pro installed. Start...right-click My Computer, click Properties.

c. Either buy, borrow, or have someone burn you a copy of their MS install CD for the same version of XP.

d. Do a clean install, using the license data reflected currently on the system.

You will then be the official Administrator...you will also be rid of unknown problems and have a valid idea whether this system was worth the loot you expended.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#5 economy

economy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for replies---
Have been researching "recovery disks"---this is a new idea for me---and have tried to download/install, Hamluis, the program you recommend, but library really made these computers waterproof---won't install anything, apparently.
Could there be a good side to this? Is our computer, thus, unassailable by spyware/trojans/keyloggers, etc.? In which case can I keep safely and securely as is? (Just hoping here.)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Well...all my experience indicates...there is no such thing as "perfect security" and I deal with computer experiences with that as a basic premise.

A computer that I could not install programs on...would not be very useful, IMO. I would do a clean install and put the programs and O/S I wanted on that system.

Louis

#7 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

As to if this will help, or not, ?????? A couple of years ago, I had a friend who had purchased a government computer at one of their auctions, and every software I tried to install was rejected with a hard disk "write protected" error. What was even more strange was when I decided to try a clean install, and start all over from scratch, it let me install a new os, no problems, but when I tried to install other software, no go, still got the hard disk "write protected" error. What helped me was to FIXMBR. Evidently there must have been a 3rd party software written onto the mbr which precluded any install of other unauthorized software.

Edited by JPeterman, 03 February 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

AFAIK...there is no way to write-protect a hard drive. If there is, it has to be in the BIOS...and, since the BIOS is easily accessible, it can be undone easily by anyone able to get into the BIOS.

Such can be done with a floppy...but it is easily undone...because there is a mechanism in the structure of the floppy allowing for such.

I know of no such incorporation into a hard drive...some other thoughts on same follow: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_can't_yo...h_a_floppy_disk AND http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_turn_...your_hard_drive

Louis

#9 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

I ran across this on the Microsoft site, it is called Windows SteadyState, used a lot in libraries it sounds like, you may have this software installed on that very computer if you got it from a library. It is microsoft software which prevents the modification of the Windows partition, ie write protection. Here`s the Microsoft link to the software: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by JPeterman, 03 February 2009 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users