Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

configuring hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 berdawn82

berdawn82

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hello, my mom got a new hard drive on her laptop and since then it gets knocked offline..my brother said I need to configure the hard drive, I have no idea what that is..can you help me with that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Is windows installed on the HDD already? Are you able to log into windows?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 berdawn82

berdawn82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

yes, I can get on windows. we got a new hardrive a few months ago and since then it gets knocked off a few times an hour. I just don't know what it is. Then today we got a new router because we have 3 computers in our house, and now we can't hook up online for more than a minute at a time on the laptop, but the desktops are fine

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

yes, I can get on windows. we got a new hardrive a few months ago and since then it gets knocked off a few times an hour. I just don't know what it is. Then today we got a new router because we have 3 computers in our house, and now we can't hook up online for more than a minute at a time on the laptop, but the desktops are fine

How far away is the laptop from the wireless router? Is it set up to do wireless A/B/G or N? Are you using WEP or WPA2?

If you have a wireless phone is the base or the handset within 6ft of the computer or wireless router? If so, unplug the base unit from power and see if your wireless connection improves.

#5 berdawn82

berdawn82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

typically it is in the next room. But before we got the new hard drive we never had a problem, I never once got knocked off.

our phone is on the opposite side of the house

I have no idea what A/B/G or N? or WEP or WPA2 mean

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

820.11 A/B/G or draft N is the technology the router uses. After installing the new hard drive for the laptop did you restore all of the factory drivers as well? Go into your control panel and under hardware look in your device manager. First make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks next to any of the entries. Next go to your wireless adapter and right click on it and check for any driver updates. Also make sure windows is to date by running windows update found in the start menu.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

typically it is in the next room. But before we got the new hard drive we never had a problem, I never once got knocked off.

our phone is on the opposite side of the house

I have no idea what A/B/G or N? or WEP or WPA2 mean

The new hard drive is not dropping your wireless connection. Did you install the newest wireless utility and drivers for your laptop?

#8 wjd

wjd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

820.11 A/B/G or draft N is the technology the router uses. After installing the new hard drive for the laptop did you restore all of the factory drivers as well? Go into your control panel and under hardware look in your device manager. First make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks next to any of the entries. Next go to your wireless adapter and right click on it and check for any driver updates. Also make sure windows is to date by running windows update found in the start menu.

Hello,

I think something wrong with your wireless network card driver. You can refer to sneakycyber post above to check the driver or you can go to this website with illustration on how to check which device driver got problem http://www.homecomputergeek.com/how-to-upd...-device-driver/. Yellow exclamation marks mean your device driver have problem.

You can try system driver maintenance to check which driver need to update, refer to this article http://www.homecomputergeek.com/system-dri...driver-updater/.

Then I suggest you to download the updated driver.

I hope this will help you.

#9 berdawn82

berdawn82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

I think you are right and it has nothing to do with the hard drive..My mom just restored or programmed a new windows on it..so now it isn't showing ANY wireless network..so now I am really lost on what to do. I don't know how to configure it, someone told me my wireless something may be off, but I don't know how to turn it on. Should I start a different topic, or can you guys help me on this.
Thank you SO much

#10 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

I think you are right and it has nothing to do with the hard drive..My mom just restored or programmed a new windows on it..so now it isn't showing ANY wireless network..so now I am really lost on what to do. I don't know how to configure it, someone told me my wireless something may be off, but I don't know how to turn it on. Should I start a different topic, or can you guys help me on this.
Thank you SO much

Install the wireless driver and wireless utility to manage the connection. These should be on a CD which came with the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users