Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting a Web Server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I want to host my website through my own server in my house, but I have Comcast, and they prohibit use of public servers on their service. Does anyone know any ISPs that allow you to run public servers?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Generally speaking, most home ISPs will not allow you to run a public server. They will usually require that you upgrade to the more expensive business connection. However, you do generally get the benefit of a faster connection and a static IP address as well. You may also get an increased upload speed (so you can serve files faster). There are some exceptions to this. I have in the past been able to get permission from Comcast (several years ago) to run my own home server, on the basis that it was for school (I was studying Network Administration at the time) and it was subject to bandwidth and content restrictions.

At work, we do have Comcast Business, and we are able to run a public server. It costs about double what a home connection would cost.

Often the best option is to get inexpensive web hosting from a place like godaddy, which gives you the ability to have a fairly decent amount of control over your server, while being less expensive than getting business hosting.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users