Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

giving hard drive big F before reload?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

my wifes laptop has a virus/malware/trojan that i cant get rid of. it wont let me update the avg software, i cant install any removal software and my wife is after me to get it back up and running...

ive managed to get all of her pics and docs off the machine so im ready to do a clean install...

should i attempt to do the big FORMAT to the C drive before installing XP again? if so how do i get into DOS to do so?

next question: i just bought a PC for my daughter and it came with XP pro downgrade which included a CD for reinstallation on a Dell computer (both are dells). can i use this disk to reload xp to my wifes laptop? i also have a regular CD for xp pro that i could use but ive never done a clean install before. i also heard that doing one on a laptop is a 'tricky' proposition because of the software neede for the touchpad and the wireless stuff. am i screwed?

hers the skinny on her system:

dell inspiron 1520
xp media center
40gb hard drive
1gb ram

if someone could give me a good rundown on the steps involved it would be greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

This is the Dell support page for the laptop mentioned: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...INS_PNT_PM_1520

XP drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...n&TabIndex=

As for reinstalling the operating system...that seems to be covered at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...e.htm#wp1063103

"Restoring Your Operating System "
You can restore your operating system in the following ways:

Microsoft Windows Vista System Restore returns your computer to an earlier operating state without affecting data files. Use System Restore as the first solution for restoring your operating system and preserving data files. For instructions, see Using Microsoft Windows System Restore.

Dell PC Restore by Symantec (available in Windows XP) and Dell Factory Image Restore (available in Windows Vista) returns your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Both permanently delete all data on the hard drive and remove any programs installed after you received the computer. Use Dell PC Restore or Dell Factory Image Restore only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.

If you received Operating System media with your computer, you can use it to restore your operating system. However, using the Operating System media also deletes all data on the hard drive. Use the media only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem. For instructions, see Using the Operating System Media.
"

I don't have any Dells and I have no personal familiarity with what may be on their disks which they give customers. I suspect that is contained somewhere in the owner's manual for the system.

<<i also heard that doing one on a laptop is a 'tricky' proposition because of the software neede for the touchpad and the wireless stuff.>>

The only difference between doing an install on a laptop...as opposed to a desktop...well, there is no difference. The drivers for the touchpad correlate to drivers for other functions and are included with either the driver's CD or whatever disks Dell originally provided (or in the Dell restore/recovery partition on the hard drive).

You mentioned two systems...and you only provided info on one. It seems that you want to do two installs, yet you provided info on one system. I may be confused.

Louis

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

You mentioned two systems...and you only provided info on one. It seems that you want to do two installs, yet you provided info on one system. I may be confused.

my wife has the laptop with the virus...

my daughter has a new pc without a virus...

i dont have my wifes boot disk...

i do have my daughters boot disk...

i want to use my daughters disk on my wifes computer...

my wife has xp media center on her laptop...

my daughters has xp pro downgrade (yeah right!) from vista, running on her pc...

system restore (start-all programs-accessories-system tools-system restore) doesnt work...

ill look to see if i can find the 'Dell PC Restore' on her computer and run it...

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

hey, the onboard System Restore worked wonders...

it did everything i wanted done...

id still like to put xppro vs the media center on it but its fine the way it is...

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users