Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring my e-mail messages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pam54

pam54

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

After a disastrous day I have succeeded with most things except my e-mail. The helpdesk for my computer got me to do a full system restore from the original disc which has been a nightmare and I have been left with a 'new' computer. I backed up all my e-mail messages and have got that saved onto my documents but how on earth do I get it back into my outlook. I tried the file, import bit that the man told me to do but then I don't understand what to do and I really need to access them. I so hope someone can tell me what to do in easy language that I can understand. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

This works with Outlook Express, it may work with Outlook also-if you saved the individual messages.

Open up Outlook.
Next open up the file where your saved messages are.
Top right corner of the page, where the 3 boxes are, click the middle box to reduce the page size.
OVERLAY the file on top of your Outlook inbox.
Hold down the ctrl and A keys at the same time to highlight all the messages.
Drag the files to your Inbox, and drop them there.

You may have to drag your file page over so that you have a clear spot in Outlook to drop the files.

#3 pam54

pam54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the info but I'm afraid I couldn't get that to work.

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

If you are using Windows XP or Vista and Office Outlook 2003 or 2007, try this...

You will need to set up Outlook completely. Once done, close and reopen Outlook, then go to File > Import and Export. From the list, select "Import from another program or file" and click Next. From the new list, select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and click Next. Browse for the backup file, and select the option you want as far as duplicates, and hit next to import the file. This will copy everything from the backup into the newly created file structure.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#5 pam54

pam54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

Thank you for this. I thought I had cracked it but there is still something I'm not doing right. Another folder called Personal Folders appears momentarily but when I click finish it disappears so I'm still not getting my messages back. I've tried several times. Once I got a message 'the source and destination folders for this operation canot be the same' but I don't know how to change it as there didn't seem to be any option to change personal folders for anything else and it wouldn't let me type over anything to change it.

I hope you can help me, I'm so nearly there and I really need my messages and addresses.

#6 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

Just to be sure, what version of Outlook are you using? And is it the same version that you used to make the backup? Also, what is the filename for the backup file?

When you do the import, and select the .pst folder, make sure you are in the correct folder, and are not selecting the new .pst file that was created when you set up the new install of Outlook. When the browse screen opens, it will typically start in the folder containing the .pst file it is using, which probably has the same name as your backup file. You need to change to the folder containing the backup.

If that still fails, there is another option.

If you close Outlook, and go to your Control Panel, you should have a link called "Mail". If the computer is running Vista, select "Classic View" to see the Mail icon. Click the icon, and you should get a box called "Mail Setup - Outlook". Click the Data Files... button. This will take you to the Account Settings window, with the Data Files tab selected. You should see "Mailbox - Your Name" listed. Above that is a button labeled "Add...". Click that, and select "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)" and Click OK. Browse to wherever you saved your backup folder, select the file and click OK. Follow any additional instructions and then close out of everything and get back to your desktop. Now, when you open Outlook, if you go to the folder list, you will see "Mailbox - Your Name" at the top, and you might see "Archive" below, and you will see another entry, which should be all your data from the backup file. Simply drag and drop the contents of the various folders into the appropriate places in the "Mailbox" tree. If that works, post back and I'll post how to then remove the backup file from the list.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#7 pam54

pam54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried and tried but no luck. In desperation I rang the helpdesk that told me what to do to start with and they have not decided that the problem with the computer was in the messages and they can't be restored at all. I have been told I have lost my messages which was a bit of a disaster. They also told me they never use outlook and always use their internet service provider for their mail so it doesn't actually come onto the computer for storage. I am trying that now. Thanks again for trying to help me. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users