Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dreamear

dreamear

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

My fiance built this computer a few years ago. When he did he partitioned to 2-20 gig drives one with XP, the other with 98. We no longer needed 98 so a few weeks ago I went out and cleaned out the other drive and now I have 20 gig of free space. So, how do I merge the 2 partitions into just 1? I would love to have 40 gigs with XP, it would make life so much easier and I'd like to do it without needing to completely reload and lose everything on my pc or worse, backup my pc.

Any ideas of how this can be done?

Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

Instead of removing the partition and reuniting the two virtual drives, why not just use the second drive for your documents, backups and other things you wouldn't want virusses or malware to affect.

I have my main drive partitioned into three virtual drives and have never lost a program, had data corrupted, etc although I have had to reload the main op system before. I have the first for Win 200 Pro, the second for all other programs other than the Windows op system group, and the third for data (my documents, pictures, music, etc.)

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

If you really want to do it you need to use a partitioning utlity like Partition Magic. There may be trial software available but i think you will find they do not actually finish the changes, they just let you practice.
There is some risk involved in doing this and it would be as well to have your system backed up before you try to make any changes.

Perhaps a better idea would be to clean out your XP partition with CCleaner and use the 2nd partition for your documents/photos/music/etc like Enthusiast suggested.
Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users