Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Saver for LCD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Wiens

Ray Wiens

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

I believe that screen savers were originally used for CRTs so that an image would not be burned into the coatings on the CRT and also to provide access security.

Is a screen saver still required for LCD screens (aside from security concerns)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I don't use one. Some can be a big memory hog
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

The key word is..."originally."

I don't think anyone uses a screensaver these days for any reason other than self-entertainment.

Lots of good ideas from "the old days" have no value today, if not entertainment.

Louis

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

CRTs did suffer screen burn from static images after long periods. LCDs can experience image retention, but with the exception of a few abnormally susceptible models, it's a transient effect and is more of an irritation than harmful. Most people's screens change enough that it isn't a problem. If an LCD is on for long periods and displays the same application background all the time, a moving screen saver can still help avoid image retention by exercising the pixels.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Although it's not required, I agree with Platypus. It's a great measure to protect against image retention. I accidentally left my PC on overnight at work. When I came in the next day I had what one would think was burn-in on the screen from the background picture. I let it go for a few days hoping that it would wear off, but no dice. Fortunately we had warranty coverage and two extra monitors lying around that I could use to replace them.

So it's not a requirement, but it's a good idea nonetheless. At least you could set your power settings to turn off the monitor after a few hours or so to protect your screen, in case they're POS's like the one's I had were.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

believe it or not some LCDs will still burn images, not as bad as the old CRTs, but it is still feasible. pixels do sometimes "stick" when left on to long. Its a rare occurance, especially in good quality LCDs, but I would. I always use one myself. even if I know it wont hurt anything, I still use my screen saver, most of the windows default screensavers do not hurt the performance of your PC, they do look pretty, and they can't hurt anything so I would go ahead and use them. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

Personally, I have my pc set to shut my monitor off after 30 minutes of no use, I figure that way maybe my backlight will last longer.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

thats really good thinking, lol i dont cuz i hate waiting for it to come back to life lol. that and i like watching the pretty screensaver.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users