Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Smithy25

Smithy25

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi there, i have got 4GB of RAM built into my laptop, im running windows vista 32-bit.

Now i look into System Info, and it tells me that i have installed physical memory (RAM) 4GB
But then it says total physical memory is 2.96GB
And also says underneath that i have available physical memory is 1.84GB

Is there any way on how to maximize the most out of the RAM? And could some one explain to me in abit more detail what this means?

Thanks to all.

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capturenr7.jpg

Picture included of my system info details.

Edited by Smithy25, 01 February 2009 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

A 32-bit operating system will only recognize between 3GB and 3.5GB out 4GB of RAM.

As far as maximizing the RAM, was there a specific application that you wanted to optimize the RAM for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Smithy25

Smithy25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

I just want to be able to get the most out of my system for general use, ie watching films etc.

Feel like ive been robbed decievely !! I understand some of it goes onto the on-board graphics and stuff.

I read also that i can do something with a switch boot.ini or something like that. I want to be able to visably see more ram in my system information even if it isnt the full 4GB.

And whats the differance between Total physical mem and available physical mem?

Thanks.

#4 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

I just want to be able to get the most out of my system for general use, ie watching films etc.

Feel like ive been robbed decievely !! I understand some of it goes onto the on-board graphics and stuff.

I read also that i can do something with a switch boot.ini or something like that. I want to be able to visably see more ram in my system information even if it isnt the full 4GB.

And whats the differance between Total physical mem and available physical mem?

Thanks.

Physical memory is how much RAM you have installed in your computer. For example, if you have two 512 MB memory chips in your machine, you have a total of 1 GB of physical memory. This memory is what your computer uses to load the operating system as well as individual programs and files.

Available memory refers to how much RAM is not already being used by the computer. Because loading the operating system takes up memory, your available memory drops right after your computer boots up. You can reduce how much memory the operating system uses by uninstalling system files or extensions that are often installed by utility programs.

Each time you open a program, it is loaded into your computer's memory, and therefore reduces your available memory. Large programs such as Adobe Photoshop and 3D action games take up more memory than simple programs like text editors or spreadsheet programs. If you need more available memory to open a large program, you should first quit other programs that are running.

If you want to use all the 4GB use a 64bit operating system. In your case, use the Vista 64bit.
~Delta

#5 Smithy25

Smithy25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have 32-Bit, how do i get 64-bit?

I know i proberbly sound fussy but if my computer came with 4GB RAM id like to have most out of it as possible, not 2.96GB which is what my system info is telling me, thats a full Gig lost somewhere.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

You would have to purchase a 64-bit operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Smithy25

Smithy25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

Is there any other way to optimize my RAM other than upgrade to 64-Bit?

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Is there any other way to optimize my RAM other than upgrade to 64-Bit?

Please read the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

The 'Cause' section explains why you don't see the full 4GB when using a 32-bit OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users