Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port conflict with other service

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bv202

Bv202

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi there

I'm trying to set up a very easy webserver. I'm firstly trying it with WAMP, then I'll try to do it manually. Anyway, I'm now at the step where I need to open port 80 so others can visit my webserver. I've got the router "NETGEAR WGR614 V7" and tried to follow these steps to forward port 80:
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...ySQL_Server.htm

After entering all information, I'm just getting the error: "Port conflict with other service". There are no other services listed. I've googled it and there seems to be other people who got this router with this problem, but I can't seem to find a solution for it.

Can anyone help? Thank you very much :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Many routers have the option for remote administration, where the router can be managed from outside the network. This is often run on port 80. Even though remote administration is typically disabled, it may still prevent you from forwarding port 80. Check the setup options to see if you can change the remote administration port. Bear in mind that sometimes this can affect your access to the router configuration from inside the network as well - switching to port 8080 for remote administration may mean that in order to access the router internally you need to go to 192.168.0.1:8080 instead of directly to the IP.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 Bv202

Bv202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

Remote management seems to be turned off (and even if it was on, the standard is port 8080 here). :thumbsup:

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

I just had a DUH moment there.

I take it you are trying to add port 80 as a custom service. However, port 80 has already been created as a service and should be listed as "HTTP" in the services list. Essentially, you can't create a new service that points to the same port as an existing service.

On the port forwarding page, simply select HTTP from the pulldown and enter the local IP address of the computer you are using as the server.

#5 Bv202

Bv202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

I've tried that. Again:

Port conflict with other service.

EDIT:
I've also heard my provider blocks ports below 1024, so I need to change it, but how?

Edited by Bv202, 02 February 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#6 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

So it is on the port forwarding (not port triggering) screen, when you select HTTP from the pulldown, and enter your IP address, you get the error message? And you are not in the Custom Service area?

#7 Bv202

Bv202
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Yes, indeed, that happens :thumbsup:

EDIT:
I think I found the problem.. I've tried forwarding another port. It doesn't gives any error messages, but it also doesn't display the new service. If I try to forward to port again, I get the "conflict with other service"-error again. It seems it just doesn't list and opens the port, but remembers I entered it.

Edited by Bv202, 02 February 2009 - 12:25 PM.

#8 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

What are the specific things it is prompting you for? If you could post a screenshot of the filled out form, even better...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users