Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to any antivirus/antispyware/antimalware sites or update servers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzano

Rizzano

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

Something seems to have blocked my internet from connecting to any site that goes to the maker or manufacturer of anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware/malware sites. These include microsoft, symantec.com, lavasoft.com, grisoft, malwarebytes, and more.

Steps I have taken thus far:

1) I visited "Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem" and ran each step as I am permitted to.

A) In the step "Backup your data" I cannot connect to the Microsoft Backup for Xp, nor Cobian or DriveImage sites. Something is blocking it.
:thumbup2: In the step "Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware", even though my computer iosn't running slow, I figured it couldn't hurt, so I visited that topic and performed the steps I could. I opened my tower and cleaned it out with canned air, checked everything, and nothing is wrong.
B1) I used the winsock repair utility and restarted, to no avail.
B2) I have no toolbars.
B3) I ran CCleaner, more than once actually, then restarted.
B4) I ran CHKDSK in Safe Mode. Restarted.
B5) I ran the System File Checker, then restarted.
B6) I ran defrag on both my system and pagefiles, then restarted.
B7) I have no unnecessary services or startup entries.
B8) I have had visual effects disabled for a long time.
B9) I already had checked my hosts file several times to make sure it was default, and still is.
B10) I have had indexing and ctfmon disabled for a long time. I also have the max ram my motherboard allows.
B11) I have no Anti-Virus program installed now, as I cannot update any such program as whatever is blocking me connecting to any anti-virus/malware/spyware site, also fails to connect to their respective update servers. (I have been told by more then one person and have also seen people with a similar problem say that if one can update said program(s), there is a good chance the program can catch and remove/disinfect the problem. Unfortunately, since I cannot update any such programs, I have no chance of that happening.)

C) I enabled my Windows Firewall. Before this, I had Comodo Essentials and AVG-Free installed on my computer. 2 days ago, I purchased Norton Internet Security 2009, and then uninstalled Comodo and AVG in preparation for the install of NIS 2009, since it has built in Firewall and AV software. During the time between uninstalling Comodo and AVG and Installing NIS 2009, I became infected somehow, and when I tried to activate my NIS 2009 and update definitions, I couldn't do so. This led to looking at symantec, which is blocked, as are sites like Microsft, Grisoft, Lavfasoft, Malwarebytes, and pretty much any antivirus, anti spyware/malware, firewall, or restore/backup site.

D) I downloaded and ran DDS, which is attached to this post.

Here is further information on my problem. If I repeat anything I have already said, please forgive me, I have done so much research and tried to solve this issue, so I cannot even count how many times I have done soemthing.

2) I have run CWSshredder.
3) There is nothing in my startup entries that I do not recognize, and my hosts file is as it should be.

This problem started yesterday. When I found out NIS 2009 wouldn't update, I checked the site to see if it was down, and I couldn't connect to it. I logged onto Symantec from my mobile phone, so I knew it wasn't down, so I started doing research and found I could not connect to numerous other sites. Upon further research I saw over the past few years other people have had similar problems where the infection would redirect them to localhost when they tried to go to such sites, or their host file had numerous entries with 0.0.0.0 in them, but I have none of that.

Reading more stuff on the web, I learned that some AV programs can find and fix the problem IF they are updated, but nothing AV wise will update, and I cannot connect to any software site that offers their AV product to download to fix the problem because I cannot update. Someone suggested download AV software from CNET, but again, any AV software there will not let me update after install. I also have tried various free AV scans that run from the web, but none of those connect either. I am at a loss as to what to do. Yesterday I just bought a wireless router and ordered a new gaming rig and am waiting the delivery of it, but I do not want to set up my network until this is resolved. I do not have access to any other internet at the moment other than my mobile phone, which is a Samsung Instinct, and while the full web on that is great, it won't help me solve the problem here on my PC. ANY HELP is most appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rizzano

Rizzano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Disregard this post, I finally just did a drive wipe, reformatted, reinstalled xp, and then installed Norton Internet Security 2009 before anything else.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for informing us.

This Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

R,
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users