Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dplantnut

dplantnut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

hi friends,
awhile back i ran spybot for a friend on her dell with xp home. it got severely disabled after doing so, so i ran recovery & things came back to "normal". for some reason, she ran it again & it of course did the same thing...but this time she uninstalled the program...now there are some serious problems goin on...
for one thing, it takes about 1/2 hour to get goin & even when it is, there is no accessible start menu
tried (though i was pretty sure it wouldn't work) reloading spybot & doing recovery...no dice...i'm no geek, just tryin to help out with what little more i know than she does... :thumbsup:
does anyone have ANY ideas?
diane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

try doing a system restore

that doesn't work,turn OFF system restore and do a recovery,then turn system restore back on
run anti-virus/spyware files
shut down net messenger
create a new [clean] restore point

download/install/update/run:
microsoft anti-spyware

if you don't have firewall/anti-virus shields,download/install/update/run:
zone alarm
avast

see what happens at that point

http://antispyware.friendpages.com

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:27 AM

I would strongly advise you/her NOT to turn off system restore at this point. Yes there may be viruses/spyware in the restore points but they can be dealt with later and that is the only place you are going to get your system info from at the moment.
This is what I would recommend:
1. Attempt system restore to be able to boot to Windows. If you are unable to do this got to step 2.
2. Run anti-spyware and anti-virus scans in safe mode. Follow the instructions below, if you are unable to install any additional anti-spyware use what you have anyway. If you make no progress come back to us with more details.
3. Once Windows is bootable you can submit an HJT log to have the system cleaned by experts if necessary.

For step 2 :
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users