Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMI BIOS 1 Beep Error or Normal Boot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

AMI lists 1 short beep as a DRAM refresh failure.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#04

So during a normal boot on a machine with AMI BIOS you would hear no beep or would you expect to still expect to hear one short beep from the motherboard check?

And if you had a DRAM refresh failure would you hear one short beep or one short beep followed by another short beep during the boot process?

My confusion came when I saw a post yesterday from a member who had a laptop that did not beep prior to having boot problems and then after having problems he stated that he had a beep.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

I have an AMI BIOS, and my pc always beeps once on startup, tad confusing that.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

if you had a DRAM refresh failure would you hear one short beep or one short beep followed by another short beep during the boot process?

You would continue to get a single beep
I have 4 computers. One gives a post beep almost instantly, 2 take a minute, and the last one doesnt give one. Although I should see if the speaker is plugged into the motherboard
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. What seems strange is that if you have AMI bios you would expect one beep for a healthy boot but it could also mean a DRAM refresh failure. So if your machine doesn't boot properly with one beep it could mean a DRAM refresh failure or possibly another unrelated boot issue.

I wonder why they list it as a DRAM failure when it can also mean a normal boot.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

I have an AMI BIOS on this system...as stated previously, one beep indicates that POST has completed successfully and the system is ready to boot.

Nothing to worry about.

Louis

#6 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Louis

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

You would continue to get a single beep

What seems strange is that if you have AMI bios you would expect one beep for a healthy boot but it could also mean a DRAM refresh failure.

What garmanma is saying is that the error code would be a continually repeating single beep (beep, pause, beep, pause, beep), compared with the code for a different error which may be say 3 beeps (beep beep beep, pause, beep beep beep, etc).

A successful post is one beep and the system boots. With the refresh failure, the system can't boot and goes beep, beep, beep until it's turned off.

Edited by Platypus, 01 February 2009 - 05:11 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Plat,
Now it makes perfect sense!

1 user(s) are reading this topic