Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA 1.5Gbps and SATA 3Gbps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm rather confused by the whole SATA and SATA II. I am aware that SATA II does not actually exist. Yet companies still seem to list HDD's as SATA II! :flowers:

I'm wanting to fit a 500GB hard drive to the PC I'm building. My motherboard (afraid I don't know the model as I didn't buy it will run CPU-Z when its all working) is about 3 years old.

I've read on forums about the possibility that I may only be able to detect a certain size of drive.

Would be very greatful if someone could clear up my confusion.

Are both compatible with each other?

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

matter of fact SATA II exist. Try putting that SATA II into a board that supports a standard SATA..(wont boot nor see it) The bandwidth of the SATA is 150/mbps and the SATA II is 3/gbps. drive size isn't an issue with SATA drives. It's the SATA I SATA II most second stage drives have jumpers to lower it down to SATA I

Edited by Goldwyn, 02 February 2009 - 04:15 AM.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:06 AM

SATA ll is a misnomer, the two types are SATA 1.5Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s. The first motherboards supporting SATA 1.5 weren't able to support the SATA 3 so a jumper was provided to switch the speed of the SATA 3 to 1.5. Motherboards now will support both types of SATA.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for your replies it was most helpful :thumbsup:

Is there any tale-tale way of knowing which Mobo has 3Gb/s support?

I know most will be listed in the manual unfortunatley there's no way I'm going to be able to obtain one. I'm in the same boat as some other people looking around the official site and other forums.

What are these jumpers listed as.

Thanks for all your time. I've learnt a lot in the last few days with the help of this forum. :flowers:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

<<Is there any tale-tale way of knowing which Mobo has 3Gb/s support?>>

You can always find the motherboard specs (for individual motherboards) just by Googling and the SATA support will be listed.

If you have a boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, eMachine, etc.) system, the owner's manual would probably be the best place to look.

If a system can run SATA I, then SATA II drives will generally be backward compatible.

A system that accommodates SATA II drives will be backward compatible with SATA I drives.

And...if you have a older system that supports neither, you can always buy/add a SATA II controller for about $50 that you can rely on and not necessarily have to think about buying a new motherboard in order to get the advantages of SATA. For more info on such, visit the Highpoint/Promise websites.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/

http://www.promise.com/product/product_det...?product_id=138

Louis

#6 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

<<Is there any tale-tale way of knowing which Mobo has 3Gb/s support?>>

You can always find the motherboard specs (for individual motherboards) just by Googling and the SATA support will be listed.

If you have a boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, eMachine, etc.) system, the owner's manual would probably be the best place to look.

If a system can run SATA I, then SATA II drives will generally be backward compatible.

A system that accommodates SATA II drives will be backward compatible with SATA I drives.

And...if you have a older system that supports neither, you can always buy/add a SATA II controller for about $50 that you can rely on and not necessarily have to think about buying a new motherboard in order to get the advantages of SATA. For more info on such, visit the Highpoint/Promise websites.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/

http://www.promise.com/product/product_det...?product_id=138

Louis

Hello Louis,

I did google my mobo before I posted in this topic and I found the official site. It didn't list the speed just SATA I'm afraid. The company I bought it from has since gone bankrupt. So I'm afraid unless by some miracle it's very unlikely I will ever get the manual. I know in most cases you probably would be able to find the manual. :flowers:

Thanks for all your helpful information though. I have a clear idea of what I need now in my mind. I'm sure I'll get it working somehow. :trumpet:

It's not a major problem as this is a secondary PC I'm building for the learning process. It's certainly been that! :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Edited by dancemat, 02 February 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

Good luck with your build :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users