Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Woot! Brand new Build!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

Hey all, thought i would post my new build and see what everyone thinks.

CPU: Pentium Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHZ 1066 FSB
RAM: 4 GB OCZ PC 10666 1333Mhz 9-9-9-20 1.7V
VID: VisionTek Radeon HD 4870
AUD: built in 7.1 Realtek Audio
CASE: ThermalTake Armor class watercooled case
HDD: 1 TB Sata 300 MBPS drive with additional 600 GB IDE Drive
DVD: Light Scribe HP 20x Sata drive
PSU: 850 Watt MaxCool Power Supply
MOBO: Intel DP45SG Extreme Edition
O/S: Windows Vista (UGH) SP1 (Wanted it for the sake of DirectX 10.1 Capable Card)
Mouse: Logitech MX518
KEYBD: Logitech G15 (Blue)

Let me know what you all think. Im currently still setting it up (installing programs and games). Im hoping that it will run like a beast. So far my 3dMark 06 score used to be about 4300. Now it is close to 27000!

Gavin Seabrook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

CPU FSB is slower then Memory FSB. Not a huge issue.

ATI Vid card. might as well shoot yourself in the foot for that one.

Good audio

Got the same case myself. good case.

Good hard drive. Hope its not seagate

Really good PSU

Pretty good motherboard.

Vista is good hope you splurged and got the Ultimate 64 bit version

Perfect choice on the mouse and keyboard.

other then the CPU being a tad bit slower then the Memory and the Video card. I'd say. Pretty sweet rig you got there. It will do everything you need it to do with the possibility to upgrade later on

Oh and I think this might be in the wrong forum just fyi :thumbsup:

Edited by Goldwyn, 01 February 2009 - 04:36 AM.

Posted Image

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

It's a good PC, the video card is fine but there are better ones. The GTX 200 series from NVidia would be better. However, according to Intel, your motherboard only supports Crossfire, not SLI so you are limited to ATI if you want to use that feature. I do suggest getting a better motherboard, if you want Crossfire, the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 would be better. If you want SLI, ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX.

3939.png

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Not the way I would have gone with a build, but if you are happy, that's what matters. Have fun.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

It's a good PC, the video card is fine but there are better ones. The GTX 200 series from NVidia would be better. However, according to Intel, your motherboard only supports Crossfire, not SLI so you are limited to ATI if you want to use that feature. I do suggest getting a better motherboard, if you want Crossfire, the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 would be better. If you want SLI, ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX.

haha thats funny that you pointed out the board with just crossfire. My board says I can only crossfire not SLI but I have the Crossfire bridge on my Nvida cards and both seem to work, Oddly enough it works. I just have to bridge the one card to the other with the crossfire bridge. I know other boards the SLI bridge is on the board itself
Posted Image

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

haha thats funny that you pointed out the board with just crossfire. My board says I can only crossfire not SLI but I have the Crossfire bridge on my Nvida cards and both seem to work, Oddly enough it works. I just have to bridge the one card to the other with the crossfire bridge. I know other boards the SLI bridge is on the board itself

Are you saying that you're using SLI on a board meant for Crossfire? If so, are you sure SLI is active in the drivers? Some of the boards meant for i7 feature both SLI and Crossfire and the bridges connecting the two cards together, might be interchangeable. Which motherboard do you have that allows this? Some of the less powerful graphics cards don't need the bridge installed between the two cards, but the more powerful ones do.

3939.png

#7 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

this unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128330

as for the drivers. yeah the Nvidia Control panel says. SLI and the Box next to it is check off. I have one installed now cause the other one went to new machine because my fathers old card died. So.... Yeah it used to work wonders. 1024 Shared memory.

Edited by Goldwyn, 01 February 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

The reviewers at the link on Newegg are all saying it doesn't support SLI and they've tried to get it to work. Perhaps you have a special board or BIOS. I did hear, a while ago, about the company Sapphire making cards capable of doing Crossfire on any PC. But I don't think it has gone anywhere.

3939.png

#9 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

I have had to do a bios update. Maybe that could be it. It did say something about Cpu compatibility and chipset updates as well
Posted Image

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

Looks good to me, ignore all these ati haters, their just jealous ;), Nvidia makes good cards to but their waaay to overrated, Ive used ATI cards for years and have loved all of them. :D hope your happy with it, cuz thats what counts. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

Not so much that I cant stand ATI its AMD that makes me shutter, Just so happens AMD is on ATI cards Vs Intel chips on Nvidia :thumbsup: Them Japanese know what they are doing vs American engineering. My I get a hair dryer with that sir? why yes sir. its called AM2 heard of it!!! lol
Posted Image

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

I use NVidia cards because all the motherboards I have use SLI. Just go with what ever card is faster and comes at a reasonable price. Just understand the limitations the card and of choosing SLI over Crossfire and vice versa.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users