Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid File Handle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brantman67

Brantman67

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

I saved some mp3 files on a memory card which i used for my cell phone and now I want to delete everything on the memory card and reformat it to be used with my wife's new blackberry. However, there are 3 files that I cannot delete. I keep getting an error message indicating an 'Invalid File Handle'. It is a micro SD card which slides in an adapter. From there I put it in the SD slot on my HP 3210 Photosmart All-in-One Printer. So basically it is recognized as a network drive. Can someone help me delete these files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

Did you try to rename the file?
You can also try Take Ownership of a File:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Brantman67

Brantman67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

I have tried renaming the file and that does not work. I can't move or do anything with the files. I even followed some instructions to create a text file with the exact same name and was still unable to delete it. I'm really starting to pull my hair out on this one. Any more ideas?

#4 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

There may be a couple reasons why you can't delete a file on your SD card.

1. You may have the SD card locked.
You can unlock it by phyisically sliding the "Lock" slider on the side of the SD card to unlock position, some SD cards come with this feature.

2. The file(s) you are trying to delete are system file(s) and should not be deleted.
You can still delete a system file, however, i would take caution. Refer to line 3 below.

3. You may not have adequate permissions to delete this file.
You can take ownership of a file, which in many cases, will allow you to modify almost any file, wheather system file or not. Refer to garmanmas' post above for a link for taking ownership.

After performing the steps above one by one, you should then beable to delete the files. Please let me know of your results :thumbsup:
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users