Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Stealing!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abyss56

abyss56

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

Ok so in January I made a new PC. On this new PC I installed 32-bit Vista (64 wont let some of my important apps work, see below).

I have 3GB RAM installed, various apps can verify, and so does the BIOS.

Now I know about the 4GB 32-bit OS limit, and I know about some memory going into system devices. But I mean, Im working with only ~1.5GB total RAM avaliable at any given time (reported in task manager as max memory). I ran the dxdiag and this kinda confused me a bit:

------------------
Display Devices
------------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 285
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1777 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 763 MB

Now, if I read that right, that means the GPU is stealing ~3/4 of a gig of my 3GBs of RAM. The box states 2GB ON-BOARD, not shared, GDDR3.
So this is my problem, can anyone help me solve it? When (I did try to use 64-bit before I learned of its incompatibilty) I had 64-bit vista loaded on the machine, I had close to the full 3GB I have installed usable (it was like 2750MB). Its very weird that on one hand I have OS config 1 that leeches half my total memory, and OS config 2 that doesnt touch the stuff... Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

32 bit os's are limited to 3.25 gigs of memory. Vista will pretend to see 4 gigs. It won't really use it.

Edit: 64 bit has a much higher memory addressing meaning 32 bit has its limitations. Soon MS won't make 32's anymore and lean upwards and onwards. I hear rumors of a 128 bit in the works. way into the future of computing

Edited by Goldwyn, 01 February 2009 - 01:05 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

Also I would like to add my Systems Video card specs this info that vista provides is strictly from the video card. Not the main system memory

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.8048
Primary monitor resolution 1600x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

Other then my previous post. I have windows Vista Ultimate 64. Sees all 4 gigs in my machine. Have you tried other video cards. Like barrow a friends card just to see if the numbers change?
Posted Image

#4 abyss56

abyss56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

Vista SP1 allows the system to act like the BIOS or CPU-Z in that it can see any and all installed RAM, even if it cant address it.

Anyways, no I havent swapped out the card. I just got it because my old PC (Win2k3, C2D, CF X1950XTX, 2GB DDR2, etc) burned out mid January. Totally ruined, had to start all over. This is my first Nvidia card and also my first Vista (I knew about the memory wall since before XP).

More so, knowing that the card isnt whats lowering my RAM, the only other culprit that comes to mind is the integrated system devices on the mobo. Even though I have 2 onboard NICs, 10 USBs, and 4 Firewire ports, I have disabled most of those (except one NIC and 6 USBs). I cant think of where that RAM is going, if Vista can address 3.5GB, where am I getting cut from? The system at boot uses like 400mb of the max 2038mb, so I'm short about a gig that isnt accounted for. I have seen (via googling) Vista systems that have memory amounts close to 3.5gb-4gb. Whats wrong in my system?

The PC specs:

Intel Core i7 965 EE
EVGA X58
EVGA GTX 285 SSC
GSkill 3x1GB DDR3-2000
250GB Seagate 7200.1 SATAII
750w Thermaltake Toughpower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users