Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Cooling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hey BC,

With my HDD running at 33 C on idle, do you think it would be worth my while to get a HDD cooling fan ?

If I do I would probably just go with a cheap one, such as http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ure=THERMALTAKE

or http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Kingwin

What's your take on this? Is it actually necessary, ie. would it (potentially) extend the life of my HD (or anything else "good")?

(Right now in my computer, I only have one 22CFM case fan, aside from the CPU fan).

Thanks a lot for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

The life of your hard drive is not very dependent on the temperatures, so long as they don't go above the maximum tolerances. For your disk, that is assuming you have the WD Caviar I'm looking at, is 60 degrees C. Instead, they are largely determined by the wear and tear on the platter and heads. Anything with moving parts, like a platter-based hard drive, will wear out eventually. Usually, this happens after about five years.

3939.png

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
I'm actually not sure of the exact model of the HD, as the computer store guys never did tell me exactly the model (I bought this computer before I started building my own machines). I think it is something similar to the link you provided above, except mine has a 8Mb Cache instead of 16.

So..would you still recommend me to get one of those HD coolers (especially given the price) anyway, just in case? Would it have any effect on my HD at all, since its apparantely not really hot anyway?

Oh yeah...also sometimes when I'm gaming in the summer, it will go up to 45 C + on hot days ... still nowhere near the tolerance, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks again.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:25 AM

I don't think it would extend the life of your disk. I have another PC at my parents home in Virginia (Hot and Sticky-Land U.S.A.) where the temperatures can get hot in summer, about 30 degrees Celsius on an average day. Also, the room it is located is small so heat builds up quickly. Even then, the disk doesn't get much above 52 degrees. Measure the temperature of your hard disk over several hours, both surfing the net and gaming. If the temps get near the thermal limit, consider getting the cooler. Otherwise, it will just be another noisy component that draws power.

3939.png

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

So in my situation, if I do get it, it will only be another " (maybe cool) thing" in there than anything else really?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

Most likely yes. I seriously doubt it would help, but nevertheless, check your temperatures to make sure.

3939.png

#7 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

If HDs don't usually get above their max. temperature, then what would be the point of HD coolers though?

thxs.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

If HDs don't usually get above their max. temperature, then what would be the point of HD coolers though?

thxs.

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing.

I have really never run into overheated HDs myself, but I don't stack multiple drives directly on top of each other in an unventilated case or wrap them in "sound insulating materials" either. Unless you have some special oddball circumstances where a hard drive is too hot, then coolers are a waste of time and money. You can get the same effect by making sure they have proper airflow and aren't covered in crud/dust etc.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

With my HDD running at 33 C on idle, do you think it would be worth my while to get a HDD cooling fan ?

(Right now in my computer, I only have one 22CFM case fan, aside from the CPU fan).

You don't list the rest of your hardware, so it's difficult to say how much heat is being created by the CPU and video card.

Judging by the idle hard drive temperature of 33C, which is good, you could err on the side of caution by having two low CFM case fans; the front sucking air in and the rear fan blowing air outward.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...re=COOLERMASTER

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi...sry, left it out by mistake..

My cpu is a athlon 64 x2 3800+ . In the winter it usually idles around 35C. Mobo is ASUS m2a VM

Only other internal add on Is a tv tuner card.

As stated I currently have one case fan (22cfm), similar to the link above.

Edited by funnytim, 02 February 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

HDD coolers are generally used in computers that have multiple HDD in a raid format. Usually hdd are stacked close together and limit the heat dissipation. I have seen 1 hdd that supposedly overheated according to Wd HDD utility the HDD was installed in a computer that is used in an automotive shop where the shop temperature goes above 100F. If you have a computer setup that has Multiple Graphics cards and an extreme Processor that both create allot of heat it may be necessary to supplement the cooling to the HDD since the other components can cause the internal temperature of the case to rise dramatically. Standard computer, normal operating environment its an unneeded expense.

Edit: I have an old AMD 850 with 3 HDD stacked they never go above 40C. That's using on board video and only 2 case fans. The computer is used for Firefox and weatherbug. Occasionaly Adobe CS2

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 February 2009 - 07:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:36 AM

So conclusion is pretty much: It isn't really necessary for me?

Alright then, I'll save that $$ for elsewhere. Thanks for all your help everyone! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users