Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports not functioning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The_unknown_man

The_unknown_man

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

My usb ports will not work, they have power to them and I've tried to use my device manager and it cannot find the USB ports. I do have a printer hooked up and its working but I've tried to plugin my external harddrive and other devices but it doesn't notice I plugged them into the computer. I have a windows xp and its a media center edition. I think the problem is that I accidentally opened "safely remove hardware" and I stopped the usb hub which has the SD,MMC, Pro, and other memory stick ports with a usb port aso attached. I've done this before but I just disconnected and reconnected the wire of the little hub in the computer but this time that solution did not work. Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:44 AM

Try this, go to the Device Manager and right click on the icon of the monitor at the top of the column and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 The_unknown_man

The_unknown_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ok I tried that but it didn't work. Is there anything else I can try? I did try to go through the registry to find if the ports were just suspended but I couldn't even find the usb folder in the system files.

#4 The_unknown_man

The_unknown_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

can anyone help me?

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Is your external harddrive and other things being detected in My Computer when you have them plugged in?

Edited by scff249, 11 February 2009 - 05:12 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

I would go to Device Manager...uninstall all USB controllers...reboot and see if the USB ports work properly (and that all USB controllers are properly reflected in Device Manager).

Louis

#7 The_unknown_man

The_unknown_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

Ok I tried uninstalling the ports and still my front ports are not working but my backside ports are working. For the front ports the computer doesn't even recognize them when I have the devices plugged into the computer. I did have 1 port on the front that noticed several devices had been plugged in when I went through all my usb port using devices. So I uninstalled the port in the device manager when it said unknown device (the backside ports knew what the device was, so its not a driver issue.) and now the 1 on the front doesn't even notice devices are being plugged in the computer.

Just a little info about the front usb ports. There is a media card hub with a usb port on the side, then just below theres an wi-fi, mic, audio plug ins and to the right 2 usb ports. All of these have now become nonoperational. hope this helps.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

My front USB ports seldom work, since the cases that I use sometimes only have 1 USB connector, while the motherboard has 2.

Maybe it's time to inspect the motherboard connections.

Louis

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I lost my front ports to static elect shock. While at a shop with the rig one day I mentioned the symptoms to the tech, and he mentioned that USB ports tend to get abused as a easy connection to the mother board, but that they truly are a bit more sophisticated than that. In so much that if they are subjected to static when changing a device ( say that you had a device it in your wool shirt pocket before connecting it) from time to time.
After his short (no pun intended) sermon about the subject, he set me up with a 2.0 4xhub and a 4x 2.0 extended hub to make up for the lost 2x old style usb fronts. The fronts still don't detect or power. I did see a small static jump before loosing the originals. Just being able to recall seeing it, means it was a huge jolt to the controller. I was lucky to only loose the front units, as I was told.
I'm sorry I don't have much of a remedy for your situation, but the mention of many USB devices make for a definite opportunity for future losses. It seems that there should be a easy way to discharge a devise before connecting. I pods, zunes , cameras, and all never say much about (if anything about) there capacity to hold static charge. Best wishes.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#10 The_unknown_man

The_unknown_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

thx and damn you!! PCwarrior, lol just kidding. Well thx for the info and now I'm going to see if I can get a new usb port. (I still have power to the ports, so I hope getting a new port hub will work.) Thanks again guys!! you've all been helpful.

#11 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

I do get a bit windy some times. Hope its not a deep issue. I ended up with upgraded 2.0 ports, from my ordeal. A four USB single pci slot card and just hooked up a extended 4 place hub(2.0 as well)velcroed to the upright on the desk side for easy access. Again , I hope yours is less to fix up. :thumbsup:.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users