Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton product key question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trichome

trichome

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

I apologize if i posted this in the wrong section.
i just got a new laptop with Norton internet security trial installed and i bought Norton Antivirus 2009.
But i noticed on the box Norton internet security is more secure i want to know if i enter the product key
if it will down grade my Norton internet security to Norton Antivirus 2009?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

I apologize if i posted this in the wrong section.
i just got a new laptop with Norton internet security trial installed and i bought Norton Antivirus 2009.
But i noticed on the box Norton internet security is more secure i want to know if i enter the product key
if it will down grade my Norton internet security to Norton Antivirus 2009?

Hi trichome,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton AntiVirus does not contain the Norton Firewall, Identity Protection or the networking features for an internal network which are included with Norton Internet Security 2009.

The link below will provide you with the detailed differences between Norton AntiVirus and Internet Security 2009.

Norton Product Comparison

You would need to purchase a separate Activation Key should you decide to go with Norton Internet Security. If you do so, the installer will recognize your trial of Norton AntiVirus and remove it prior to the installation of Norton Internet Security.

I hope this information clarifies the differences for you.If you have any further questions, please post back.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#3 trichome

trichome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to reply.
my brother just bought Norton360 on the net
and downloaded and installed it on his computer.
how do i get it on my computer without the cd?
do i need to logon from his account and download it?
and if so, when i run the installer it will detect and remove my
Norton internet security and replace it with Norton360?

Edited by trichome, 17 February 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to reply.
my brother just bought Norton360 on the net
and downloaded and installed it on his computer.
how do i get it on my computer without the cd?
do i need to logon from his account and download it?
and if so, when i run the installer it will detect and remove my
Norton internet security and replace it with Norton360?

Hi trichome,

As long as the subscription your brother purchased is for 3 computers, you can re-download the installer and use the Activation Key that came with his download of Norton 360 for the 2nd installation. Make note of the Activation Key which you will need during the installation on your computer.

The Norton 360 installer should detect a previous installation of a Norton product and tell you that it must be removed before installing Norton 360. However, if you want to do a clean installation of Norton 360, which will remove all Norton products from your system, follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Visit the Norton Product Support page at the link below to re-download the latest installer for Norton 360 2.x.

Norton Product Support-re-download Norton 360 installer

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360 2.x and click on the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates" to make sure you have the latest program and definition updates applied.

5. When the updates have been successfully installed, click on the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Run Scans" and choose "Comprehensive Scan."

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#5 trichome

trichome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have done everything you said everything is working accept my HP Care Advisor says
Security Critical! Internet Security: At Risk
ever since i uninstalled and installed 360 is there a way i can get rid of this?

#6 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

I have done everything you said everything is working accept my HP Care Advisor says
Security Critical! Internet Security: At Risk
ever since i uninstalled and installed 360 is there a way i can get rid of this?

Hi trichome,

When you go to the Windows Security Center it should tell you that Norton 360 is managing your antivirus protection and the Windows Firewall should be disabled, as the Norton Firewall is handling this for you.

If the Windows Security Center says something different, try manually running LiveUpdate from within Norton 360 and then restart and check the settings. If you are still getting warnings from some HP component, you will need to contact HP for support.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 19 February 2009 - 02:00 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users