Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer opens then closes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blazebaer

blazebaer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

i dont know what is happening to my computer. The other day i was searching on google and all the results i clicked on sent me to various ads unless i opened in new window.. . so i downloaded AVG free antivirus... Now, i dont know if it is because of the AVG but when i open internet explorer it just shows the window then closes. However when i go to task manager it shows iexplore.exe still running... I DONT knwo what i am going to do seeing as though school just started and now i have no computer. SOME BODY HELP ME!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

Try re-installing Internet Explorer. You can find a download of the latest IE in the url below

IE 8 for Windows XP

IE 8 For Windows Vista

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

blazebaer,

Is the AVG antivirus the first AV you've installed? Have you run any malware scans?
I disagree with Delta16 IE8 is beta software, not for use by the general population.

tork

#4 blazebaer

blazebaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

hey tork.

it was the first time i installed it. I was using malware bytes malware scan and had no problems previous to the download. I fixed the problem by just completely uninstalling AVG. i have not had time to check if reinstalling IE worked to solve the errors i was having while searching. Do you suggest i dont use IE? i dont understand.

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

Hi blazebaer,

Okay, if I understand, you had computer infection which you removed with Malwarebytes which fixed the issue "searching on google and all the results i clicked on sent me to various ads unless i opened in new window." You downloaded AVG and had problems running Internet Explorer and fixed it by removing AVG. If this is correct then it sounds like you are not using any antivirus and that leaves you vulnerable to further infections. Also, the problem running Internet Explorer with AVG may have been an issue of settings. Are you using a firewall? Any anti-spyware software? What OS?

My comment on Internet Explorer 8 is because it is Beta software.

Before a commercial software program is released to the public, it usually goes through a "beta" phase. During this stage, the software is tested for bugs, crashes, errors, inconsistencies, and any other problems. Though beta versions of software used to be made available only to developers, they are now sometimes made available for the general public to test... ... If you choose to test a beta software program, don't be surprised if it has multiple problems and causes your computer to repeatedly crash.

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/definiti...hp?betasoftware

The latest release is Internet Explorer 7.

tork

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

IE8 isn't Beta anymore. It was released last week.

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

RC (release candidate status) is not quite a final release. You may still experience bugs, installation issues, etc. with the RC version. The final release is not scheduled for a few months.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

microsoft's final release dates are like the wind - ever changing

#9 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

wow... ok this happens too often on forums, subject changes that don't answer topics, blazebaer, in my opinion, no, do not use IE, it is made by microsoft, a company based solely on profits, they attempt to make things work better than everything else by sacrificing system stability (Windows OS included) making pretty much every program that they make a complete waste of money, for it will die within 5 years. If you want to keep IE, reinstall it, if that doesn't work, get it out of your head and get google chrome or firefox

God I love ranting about windows :-)

EDIT: also IE 8 isn't a good idea, IE7 is much more stable (hence IE 8 being a beta)

Edited by sausage, 03 February 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

By ranting about Microsoft, you didn't answer his question either. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Some users prefer IE over Firefox and some ISPs require customers to use IE or the customized browser won't operate properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users