Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Driver will not install.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 uly

uly

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

I Don't know where to start expect that after doing a computer update but before restarting for the update I opened my usb drive to view a file and the computer suddenly went into a blue screen saying computer needs to restart. When it restarted the icons and everything were larger and the mouse, keyboard or anything pluged into the hard drive was not working. After removing everything and putting them back in they worked except the audio and the internet was not working so I reinstalled the drivers and everything was back to normal except the audio. When i tried to install the audio driver it kept saying that that device was incompatible with my system even though I have always used the same audio device. Any suggestions and help on what happened to my computer, and can you check to see if everything is ok.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

You may want to try this, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Following the suggested procedures may make it easier to remove current (possibly damaged) audio drivers and then install an undamaged set of audio drivers.

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model, if custom-built?

Louis

#3 uly

uly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

"This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install" thats exactly what my computer says. I have a dell hard drive is Dimension E521.

The link you gave was helpful but i was unsure of what i had to uninstall

#4 uly

uly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Do you think doing a system restore will help?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

If you have it (XP's System Restore function) enabled...it can't hurt to try it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2009 - 07:56 PM.

#6 Patty FL

Patty FL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:19 AM

Hi, Luis,

I am very new to this and posting Q's in any forum in general. I hope I am not out of bounds in posting in here but if you would be so kind as to address my somewhat similar situation.

I have no sound on my lap top as of today. I did a lot of reading on the internet and I have this info.

I definitely deleted the sound drive on my laptop (by mistake). I have a Toshiba M55-S3314 and it says there is no Multimedia Audio Controller.

I read an old post in this forum from a few years back and I got this info: the Vendor Is Intel

the Device ID: 0x266E the VEN 8086

Chip Description: AC '97 Audio Controller/Sigmatel (SoundMAX Integraded Digital Audio)

I got that off of PCIdatabase.com but now I have no idea what to do. If you are able to give me any assistance with this situation I am faced with I would be so grateful.

thanks so much,

Patty :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Patty Fl:

Link for all drivers: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...09115%7CPSM50U#

Be sure to click on Downloads and specify XP as the O/S.

The sound driver is listed on the 2d page, Realtek Audio Driver for XP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2009 - 02:03 PM.

#8 Patty FL

Patty FL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Luis, hi,

thanks so much for the link. I looked literally for hours on that same website and could not get very far at all!!!

You're amazing!!!

One thing, is there a certain place I need to download this to? If so, please, where?

And also I did find on the internet the same file name but it's 60 instead of this one here being 50.

Do you think I should use the 60 over the 50? I'm thinking it could be a more updated driver?

also, once it is downloaded then do I need to install it somehow? If so do you know how I would go about doing that?

I know these Q's might seem silly but I have no idea how computers really work

thank you so much,

Patty

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

<<One thing, is there a certain place I need to download this to? If so, please, where?>>

Whatever is convenient for you. I put all my downloaded programs on my Desktop (easy to find), but that's just me.

<<And also I did find on the internet the same file name but it's 60 instead of this one here being 50.>>

I would use the files provided by the manufacturer of the system.

<<once it is downloaded then do I need to install it somehow? If so do you know how I would go about doing that?>>

I'm not sure how Dell packages it's drivers but you probably only have to double-click on the downloaded file if it has an .exe ending. It will then self-install.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

<<I know these Q's might seem silly but I have no idea how computers really work>>

The questions are not silly at all...I have asked myself or someone else such at earlier periods in my computer-life :thumbsup:. As for understanding how computers work...I find that I take most of what it appears that I might "know"...on "faith" and have a great deal of confidence in the abilities of others who contribute their knowledge and share their experiences...to help me muddle through :flowers:.

<<thank you so much,>>

You are welcome, happy computing :trumpet:.

Louis

#10 uly

uly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

thanks a lot i go my computer back and running everything i really want to thank you for your help.
Uly

#11 Patty FL

Patty FL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

Louis,

WOW!!! It worked!!! I got my sound back!!!!

You are the best!!! Thank you sooooo much!

#12 Patty FL

Patty FL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Oh, Louis,

I have another Q. If you want me to post it in another area, please let me know. I am new to this posting stuff.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to consider this Q:

I would like to use Mozilla Firefox as my exclusive browser. Internet Explorer came pre-installed on my Toshiba laptop. Will my computer be adversely affected by deleting IE?

and if you were to use a free anti-virus what would it be? if any?

once again, my kindest regards and thank you,

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

<<I would like to use Mozilla Firefox as my exclusive browser. Internet Explorer came pre-installed on my Toshiba laptop. Will my computer be adversely affected by deleting IE?>>

No. In fact, Microsoft provides directions for doing such, How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177 AND http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

And here's an article that I think is worth reading: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browsers/f/removeiexp.htm

<<and if you were to use a free anti-virus what would it be? if any?>>

I have always used an AV program...I've tried about 10 different ones and they all worked satisfactorily. Some I paid for, some were free...the free ones worked as effectively as those I paid for (contrary to what I thought at one time).

I currently use/like Avira Free (AntiVir Personal Edition Classic). I thought AVG was pretty good until Version 8 came out. There are any number that do the job, it's just whatever the owner/user likes best.

I would urge you add 2 programs to help protect your system: SUPERAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D. A user needs to have a firewall, one AV program, and 2 other malware applications such as those I suggeste (IMO).

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

#14 Patty FL

Patty FL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi, Louis,

thanks so much for the very much appreciated and valuable information!!

After having read the article in your most recent post here, I was wondering if you yourself or someone you know has ever uninstalled IE 7 ???

Patty

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

I've never bothered to uninstall any version of IE other than 5.5 (which was troublesome on the system I had at that time). Then I just rolled back to Version 5.0 until the newer version came out.

I suppose that I like IE and the way that it has changed from time to time.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users