Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Copy Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hi guys

Please help

here are my specs

PIII Motherboard - Asus TUV 4x
700 Mhz Processor
256 mb ram
dvd reader
sound card
lan card

cd rewriter

I have a problem with the text based setup of windows , when it gets to copy files, it gives me an error saying that XXX.XXX file wasn't copied correctly , press enter to retry F3 to exit setup and restart your computer and esc to ignore and continue , I pressed enter several times and it won't copy , I have pressed esc but the gui version of setup doesn't run correctly. It occours even without the lan or sound card or modem card installed. It happens with the dvd reader unpluged aswell , I have tried another drive and same thing , I have recently used the cd with a different product key on a different machine and it was fine. that shows no problem with CD or drive?

Please help

Thanks

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

Where did you get the cd?

#3 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi there

The CD was my own OEM Cd i got from the manufactorer as I am an OEM reseller , I have two different computers with two diffrent license keys (So I am not breaking the EULA)

The CD is brand new , could it be a mobo problem becuase it only occours on this mobo, i have even tried 2000 , but the same thing.

Thanks

Roger

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

If the CD works on a different system (different hard drive, different memory)...then I would initially suspect one of those two components on your system.

The fact that you have 256MB of RAM installed probably doesn't help the attempted install...in spite of what MS says the minimum prerequisites might be for a good install.

I have attempted to install it on older systems with 256MB and found that the install proceeded well when I bumped the RAM to 384MB. That's just my experience with such.

If you would like to check out either (RAM or hard drive):

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

#5 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

HI Louis

I think it might be the I/O on the motherboard , because the FDD controller doesn't work. Before I updated the BIOS , i would then get BSOD's

I am working on another machine with the same amount of ram which runs just fine.

What Now, the hdd and ram are 100 % and I recently replaced a burnt-out CPU

Thanks

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users